Dried fish candy sticks

Started by David Hall, October 15, 2016, 07:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

This is something I have been interested in for several years, during a visit with a local fishing legend and lure maker, I was treated to something he called fish candy.  It was a stick of dried, flavored local rock fish that he had created.  It was possibly the best snack treat I have ever had.  I never did get his recipe, I. Hoping I might yet some day, but for now I'm attempting my own version.  Based on a little google research and my experience making jerky and smoked meats.
My marinade
Soy sauce
Vinegar
Ceyane pepper
Black pepper
Garlic
Ginger
Brown sugar

Then a few years ago I discovered this
Wonnies hot and spicy Korean BBQ sauce.
You can read the ingredients on the bottle.

David Hall

This is the marinade I'm using.  Added about a 1/4 cup of water to thin it a bit, for beef ribs and chicken I use it straight out the bottle.
Next ingredient some fish!
Pulled this filet of Pargo from my super freezer a few days ago and defrosted in the fridge.  It's firm white meat should dry nicely.  Slice into 3/4" wide strips, and it's so thick I rolled the strips and repeated slicing.  Ended up with about 4-5 lbs of 3/4" X 3/4" strips.  Into a zip lock bag, add the marinade and refrigerate for 1-6 hrs.  I'm letting this batch steep for 3- 4hrs then onto the dehydrator for drying at 150 degrees for 6-8 hrs.

ChileRelleno

Looking forward to a Money Shot.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

I will gather the troops for a group taste test, the look on their faces will tell it all.  But it will be late tonight or tomorrow morning befor I know the truth!

Bryan Young

Sounds great David.

I gotta try the marinade and its local too which is great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

It is the spiciest teriyaki style marinade I've found, and it's good on everything.
5hrs marinating
Onto racks to drain and dry then into the dehydrator at 155 degrees.

David Hall

The preliminary money shot after 6-1/2 hrs, and after 3hrs in the dryer, I gave them a roll in raw sugar.
Couldn't wait for the kids, it's already tomorrow so I have to wait until they wake up, but I had to taste it myself, have to say it's pretty darn good.  But that's just me.  The real judges will let me know.

ChileRelleno

Oh my, where is the confounded LIKE button!  ;D
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

mizmo67

Never been a fan of jerked or smoked fish.
Maybe just haven't had the right one, as I'm not partially to "overly fishy" tasting fish.

That said...this looks really good!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

David Hall

Quote from: mizmo67 on October 16, 2016, 01:26:46 PM
Never been a fan of jerked or smoked fish.
Maybe just haven't had the right one, as I'm not partially to "overly fishy" tasting fish.

That said...this looks really good!

I know exactly what you mean Mo, I felt exactly the same way until I tried Harry's, but he's never opened up about his recipe so I'm left on my own to try and figure it out.  This batch doesn't taste anywhere near as good as his but I'm betting it will still all be gone by the end of the day tomorrow if not today. 

mizmo67

I'll have to try this out, then :)
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

jigmaster501

David,

That looks good.

Just curious, did you measure the internal temperature at any time during or at the end of drying????

Eugene

David Hall

I checked at the end 155.  So the general consensus is,  looks like I'm the only one that likes it?
So I heard, not enough flavor, to fishy.  So I cut the strips into bite size pieces, fried them for 3 minutes at 350,
Scooped them into a paper towel and sprinkled them with a combination of , ceyane Peter, lemon pepper and more raw sugar.  Suddenly they're disappearing from the bowl.  I think next time I'm going to try smoking them in the smoker.  Everyone likes smoked fish, I think there's an inherent aversion to the words dried fish in my house.

ChileRelleno

ceyane Peter?

Gotta be Cayenne pepper after some weird combo of misspelling & auto correct.
Ragnar Benson:

David Hall