Repair or re wrap an old Truline?

Started by Big Tim, October 16, 2016, 02:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK boys and girls these pics are going out to anyone that works on rod restoration...This a Truline black 7' 20-30? custom wrap from about 40 years ago and the plastic/nylon? guides are cracked..Can this be fixed and restored as is or does it need a re wrap? I'm going to copy this post in the rod section as well. I would love to fix the guides and maybe re cote ??? and keep as is and either sell or fish?

Thnks, BT

Bryan Young

Re wrap would be best. khanh could do it for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

That would be a neat rewrap project and well worth it. I am just too booked to think about another right now. Deer season is right around the corner too.

Bryan Young

I may have those thread colors so you can keep the butt wrap but will need to compare it with the threading the rod.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Big Tim

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 16, 2016, 03:16:14 PM
I may have those thread colors so you can keep the butt wrap but will need to compare it with the threading the rod.

It would be nice to match the butt wrap and just maybe re cote it.

Tim

thorhammer

BT, the red and gold trimar was my signature wrap color for Thorhsmmer. Gudedrod went extinct but I have a couple of spools left and will donate one to rewrap your guides in the spirit of AT! I do not have the white and gold. If you are not in a huge hurry I will be glad to wrap it for you and I absolutely recco keeping the butt wrap intact. Though building new is much easier, most of what I do is refurb / resto. I could do it in the next two months.  Pm me if you like; I'll send the thread to your local guy if you go that route. If it were me and the white / gold prove unobtainium, I'd go with a white under wrap with gold trim bands and the red / gold over.

I've dealt with those guides before and they are toast if cracked. I'd replace with Fuji's if it were mine. 

There is a way to make white gold trimar taught to me by Mr Vadney over his excellent pour of JD, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hate I missed meeting you when I was out there.

John

SoCalAngler

If you want to keep up that old school look with the same Fuji guides, I may be wrong but I think those were some of the first guides made with inserts from Fuji, I may know where to still get new old stock.

P.S. If those are in fact the Fuji guides that they look like have a ceramic composite insert, not plastic.

Big Tim

OK after close inspection with my grandpa glasses on these guides have a ceramic inside and for the lack of words a nylon/plastic material holding the ceramic. The plastic material is cracking, not the ceramic. Now John & Bryan if we could match the thread color and up grade the guides and still keep the old skool look that would be sweet. This is the rod I'm keeping for sure. I want to keep it simple looking the way it now & will most likely put my SL20SH tank on it  ;D ... I will get some close ups in the daylight to get you all a better perspective.

Anyone want to buy a Truline octagon spinning rod  ;D

BT