I finished my cross wrap..

Started by RiverAngler, October 16, 2016, 02:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverAngler

I guess the 6th time is the charm. I ended up cutting off the green and gold. Not enough contrast, and I realized I had made a mistake on my base threads. New colors are Rattan and Black. I think it works much better.I still have minor packing and some straightening to do, but I'm now ready for the end wraps/hookeeper and guides.

At this time I have to give a shout out to Chad (cbar45) for his support, atta boys, and tool tips. He directed me to some tools I  did not know I needed, which have since become indispensable. Thank You, Chad! I really appreciate you!

;D
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Holy moly.. those turned out great.

Sounds like this one was a great learnimg experience.

I think I like your final color choices.  

Hopefully, I can go through a similar experience one of these days here.  I don't think I will get anything near the same results though.

Nice work!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

RiverAngler

Thanks, Guys. I'm pretty happy with it even though it took 6 tries. I had to start somewhere. And yes, the colors are a much better choice for the mallard green tint I gave the rod.

I do about 6- 10 reels a week, and do rod repairs, too. I just wanted to up my game by learning how to do this. Next up is my 10 year old sturgeon rod, which is a old Seeker SWB 70h Black Classic (getting ahead of myself already). The only issue I had was my 65 yo eyes go buggy after a while, so I have to stop and take 5 from time to time. Now I have to figure out how I want to wrap the end caps, and the guides due to the color change.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

cbar45

Ralph--I'm glad to have been of help--but the end result here is 100% your blood, sweat, and tears.

First Snowflake of the season and it turned out really well!

Cross-Out, Box-Out, Switch, and Repeat...;)

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely work - almost a hypnotic effect :)

RiverAngler

Between football games and other stuff I finished the tip end tie off. I've done simple trim bands, but no inlays or JTOB's yet. I figured if I was stretching might as well stretch out.

Next the butt end and hook keeper.

No snowflakes yet (except on rods  :D), Chad, but it rained like the Devil here today. We really needed it.

RiverAngler

Quote from: Tightlines666 on October 16, 2016, 03:37:05 AM
Holy moly.. those turned out great.

Sounds like this one was a great learning experience.

It's been a labor of love. I've had that ole' rod for nearly 2 decades and I didn't want to give it up. And I've learned VOLUMES about cross wrapping resurrecting it.

Ralph

Newell Nut

That is nice looking pattern but requires more patience than I have. Great job.
Dwight

RiverAngler

Hey! Thanks Dwight! I finished the butt end and hook keeper and put the first coat of CP on it. Looking good.