what should insertion length be for splice?

Started by ScottOz, October 16, 2016, 10:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi Guy's,
            I have 100lb solid power pro that I want to splice to hollow 80lb Cortland (Thanks bill 19803)and then 80lb Stren that will go into the hollow.How far should the solid be inserted into the hollow and how far should the mono go into the hollow.Also what strength braid should be used for the serve.Don't have a bowsting server just a fly tying bobbin.Would half hitches be better? And how long should the serves be?
Thanks Scott.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Dominick

I usually go 4-7 feet depending on how easy it is going through.  Even with the threading needles it sometimes balks.  It has to be fun.  When it feels like work I stop as soon as possible.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ScottOz

Thanks Guy's.Have tried and have no problem inserting braid or mono.Was lucky that some old needles I had for making wind-on leaders actually fit.winning.

ScottOz

Over the weekend spooled  the new reel and done the splice's with no problems.Inserted the mono and solid braid both 5ft.Finished off with 2 inches of half hitches with 30lb braid that went translucent after being pulled tight.My hands still hurt.Thanks to those that gave advise.

bill19803

Scott  if  you  use  emery paper  to  put a ball nose on   end of your plastic material  and  them polish it  with   finger nail   polishing block from  drugstore  you  can insert  plastic into  braid  without needles. this lets  you use  bigger plastic  in  the  setup. works well  avoids the cost of  needles  and  you  can actually  get bigger plastic into  braid.100  lb   mono or  floro into   80 lb braid  will be sending  some more 80   lb  same  as  other  when i get a chance.Then  you can play a bit without  worrying about running out

Keta

I have tested down to 2' but 3'-5' is what I do.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

I favour a 4-6 inch splice with super glue for mono/fluoro. 12-18 inch splice with super glue for solid/hollow braid splice. Also for joining fly lines/leader/backing.
The type of ca is important - I've found that it has to be flexible so I use Insta-Flex from Bob Smith Industries. Check YouTube there are several how-to vids.

johndtuttle

Most important thing to do is *test* your result with cyclic loads (simulating a fight). Without pre-stretching the leader you usually get a lot of "creep" and a long insert is necessary.

Very few really tie a windon that is Cow worthy without a tying jig.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Solid braid to hollow braid, 1" then serve with same solid braid up and back down.

Hollow to fluorocarbon or mono, 3'. Stretch fluoro/mono then serve while stretch then relax after serving.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D