drag washers what the difference?

Started by arrowhawk, March 29, 2011, 05:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrowhawk

Between smoothies, extreame smoothies, carbonex, ht-100?
How do you know which to use when?
Thanks

Norcal Pescador

I'm not much help ;D but I use the Carbontex when I need a drag washer for my freshwater reels (non-Penn) or for a special need in my Penns. I like the Carbontex for the different thicknesses they come in. (Also, Smooothdrag's shipping is cheaper. ;) ) Otherwise I use HT-100s for all of my saltwater stuff. I haven't felt a need to try smoothies yet. Carbontex and HT-100 washers should be greased for best performance and IF I remember right, Dawn said to use smoothies dry.

All other replies will say that I'm full of ....  :D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Rob gave you a great answer, as usual. Although most of my reel have HT100's, I do have a few with smoothies, these washers should be installed dry, but I did add a little Cal's grease on mine and they work just fine. I don't know much about the extreme smoothies. The HT100 and the carbontex are made of the same material, carbon fiber. The carbontex is weaved different than the HT100, they did this so they would be able to offer real thin washers or thick washers, I beleive the thick washers also have a layer of fiberglass sandwiched in between the carbon fibers. Carbontex are a little more expensive than the HT100.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

the old smoothies (green or black) were pretty sticky...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

IMO the single most important Upgrade to any reel is Greased Carbontex/HT 100 washers.

I cant tell you how many Ceramic #7 bearings I have installed.. 
Not one of my reels has them.
All of my Reels have Carbontex.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Brendan

I did not put ceramic # 7's in everything, but I did put them in more than a few. Carbontex is in everything.
For what it's worth.

arrowhawk

it seem like the best choice is either carbonex or ht-100
I can get ht-100 at a doz diffent stores local
Should I mail order for carbonex or buy local
If the carbonex are better, I'll order them.
Thanks,

Jim

In my last 2 newells I prefer the extreme smoothies with a breath of cal's grease. They seem to hold the higher drag settings for my wahoo rigs better, perhaps because they seem to be a very firm material.

Bryan Young

Carbontex has a tighter weave than HT-100s, and can be a little firmer at thinner thicknesses.  I like both and will function identically when greased.  The main difference for me is thickness and size.  I will go with carbontex when I want to increase my stack of carbon washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

Carbontex is my preferred choice followed by HT100 (carbontex has many more size options than  HT100). To be fair both have proven track records but are made differently. Most of the carbontex is laminated carbon fiber weave while HT100 is carbon fiber laminated to a fiberglass substrate and is thicker. Ht100 can be ground to size if needed while carbontex has to be cut (it has a tendency to blow up if you try to grind it). My experience with Smoothies and extreme smoothies is from the days of tournament bass fishing. Smoothies are smooth but seem to lack the longevity under high drag settings with powerful game like tuna. Smoothies are available in much thicker sizes than Ht100 or carbontex. The smoothies seem to be less affected by moisture.

Carbontex for high performance big game type reels - precut to size - order them from Dawn at smoothdrag.com
Ht100 for custom grinding to size and a lower cost option for thicker drag washer applications.
Smoothies - I don't personally use them as everything I work on goes out with Carbontex, HT100 or OEM carbon fiber drags.
Jim N.