A pair of 501's

Started by Alto Mare, October 20, 2016, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I decided to put together a couple of striper slayer for my personal use:

As I was moving along, i run into a small problem, the pin for the dog spring was hitting the side of the plate and couldn't line up the bridge as I wanted.
I did not notice this on the red plates and some other black plates, this one must be an older model

In case you run into the same problem, the red arrow shows the pin and where the plate needs to be grinded a little.
Also, above you will notice the stainless steel screws, I highly recommend using those on the custom bridge.
Unfortunately you won't be able to find the bridge screws that have partial thread, you will need to make your own.
If you do happen to find them, please let us know.
And here are the finished reels, working nicely.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

That's a great reel Sal.  Thanks for showing some more of your work.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Wow!
Two Cadillac's right there. :o
Life is Good!

fishgrain

triple thumbs up striper beware lol ;)

Alto Mare

Just got done testing the drags by pulling on the reel. Don't go by these numbers, I got over 35 lbs at max,  these reels are crazy smooth at 20 lbs and that's plenty.
Delrin under the gear and a Delrin belleville on top are helping.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishgrain

sounds like the perfect tool for wrestling a 40lb'er (we can dream right) from her sand eel buffet with an AVA67

Shark Hunter

What is the green grease?
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done Sal. These reels are one of my favorites!
....................Lou

reelrepair123

reely nice sal, you are the master, enjoy using them .  harryk

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Daron, the green grease is actually yellow, but somehow turns green in the pic. It is made in Germany and sold by Shimano. Someone recommended it to me, so I decided to give it a shot.

handi2

Very nice fish catchers Sal.

I have plenty of black side plates if ever needed. Mostly NOS.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broadway

Sal,
    Those would be more than welcome to slay stripers on Broadway next Spring with Anthony. Thanks for the tip and great job on those puppies.
Dom

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 20, 2016, 10:52:10 PM
Thanks guys!
Daron, the green grease is actually yellow, but somehow turns green in the pic. It is made in Germany and sold by Shimano. Someone recommended it to me, so I decided to give it a shot.

Daron,  Thank you for asking what I was thinking!!!

Dominick stopped by and I asked him what was the green grease used by Sal on the 501, he too did not know,

GOOD TO KNOW Sal, you out there in Philly aren't going psychedelic green on us!!!!  Weird the yellow grease photographs green.

To quote Dr. Spock on Star Trek "Fascinating Jim!"

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

If you look closer you'll see the left side plates have 8 magnets each, those make it easier on me to cast.
It might just be me, but the reels with magnets feel much smoother when casting or retrieving line.

Bryan Young

Beautiful twin. Because a reel that looks that good you cannot just have one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D