Long Beach 268

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 09:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Here is a product review, more than a tutorial, of the 268, a newer rendition of the original Long Beach 68.  The 268 has a graphite half frame with a top post, better to get your thumb stuck under than a topless frame  :o The top post measures .27" in diameter. The aluminum spool is already included.

The frame has stiffening shrouds on the frame tops and the frame screws are held by brass inserts in the frame.  I didnt know much about it, but the 268 uses the same spool as the Senator 113HLW  but the shafts are different so the 113HLW part will not fit the 268, you might consider this a poor man's 113HLW, but it is lacking the frame strength of the aluminum HLW.  1300 yards of 50 lb braid is a lot of line.

Also inside the handle side plate is what I assume is a date stamp this one shows 4-99 or April 1999.....this has to be the newest reel I own.  There are carbon fiber drags already in place from the factory....thank you Penn  :D.  

All in all I like this 268 and can see me using it where line capacity and not absolute strength is needed, like deep dropping for rock cod, although the 2.5:1, compared to 3.25:1 in the 113HLW, would be a little slow.  

This one's for you Mo    ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mizmo67

Quote from: TARFU on October 22, 2016, 09:45:24 PM

The frame has stiffening shrouds on the frame tops and the frame screws are held by brass inserts in the frame.  I didnt know much about it, but the 268 uses the same spool as the Senator 113HLW, so you might consider this a poor man's 113HLW, but it is lacking the frame strength of the aluminum HLW.  1300 yards of 50 lb braid is a lot of line.

Careful correction on this one with regard to parts only.
Although the spool is stamped 109D-113HLW but the shaft parts of it are different..the spools on 268 and 113HLW are not interchangeable.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Ron Jones

I believe the 268 uses the 113W spool (L if aluminum). Just like the 67 uses the 113 (L if aluminum).

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

I'm diggin' it. I bet that top post makes up for the difference in frames...I'll bet that reel is plenty strong. That thing has a #5-66 gear...can ya fit a 5 stack in 'er? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

Quote from: mo65 on October 22, 2016, 10:57:00 PM
  I'm diggin' it. I bet that top post makes up for the difference in frames...I'll bet that reel is plenty strong. That thing has a #5-66 gear...can ya fit a 5 stack in 'er? 8)
Yes Mo, just use 6-60 washers (5) in place of the 6-113 washers (3) and add one more eared & one more keyed metal washer.

Ron Jones

If you want to go bananas, I believe Bryan makes a 7 stack for it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Good catch Maureen....I will make the correction....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!