Shimano Sustain 4000 FA drag washers??

Started by loogoman1970, October 27, 2016, 04:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loogoman1970

I have a Sustain 4000 fa, the one with the wooden knob, that am replacing the drag washers on. I just can't seem to find any info at all on carbontex washers  sets to replace the old felt ones it has. Are there any sets from other model years like the FB or maybe even other models like the stradic or symetre that might fit? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.  :)

oc1

Post the dimensions and Dawn or Bryan will know if they have something that fits.  Otherwise, you can have someone custom cut a set or buy the sheet and cut them yourself.
-steve

handi2

There are ones that will fit but are not marked at Dawns website, Smooth Drag.

An example is the small ones for the old Stella and new Spheros reels fit the Saros 3000F.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

loogoman1970

I know the width is important but do I also need to measure the thickness? Or do all Carbontex washers come in the same thickness? 🤔

Bryan Young

Quote from: loogoman1970 on October 31, 2016, 04:40:00 AM
I know the width is important but do I also need to measure the thickness? Or do all Carbontex washers come in the same thickness? 🤔
Total thickness makes a difference. To thick you will loose lower drag setting.

Carbontex comes in sever different thicknesses, 0.50, 0.76, 0.96, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 mm thick depending on the washer and application.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

loogoman1970

philaroman

should be the same as all 4000-size from the 90's, starting with original AeroSpool Stradic/Symetre/Sidestab/Spheros 3000F, through Sustain 4000FB(FD?), Stradic 4000FG(FH?), Symetre 4000FH, etc...  same as older JDM equivalent TwinPower/Biomaster/Ultegra...  same as all cheaper models made in Malaysia long after 2000... 

!!! NOTE !!!  w/ original AeroSpool "F" models ('90/'91?) 3000 is the same as later 4000 & 4000 is the same as later 6000

handi2

Just measure the OD of the metal washers or the ID of the spool. That will tell me which ones you need. I have all of them.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

loogoman1970

Keith, the spool ID is 4-BIO-4-1. Never knew those markings were there on the spool.

alberto u

hi
someone has upgraded shimano spheros 4000fb handle?