Looking for clip

Started by The Great Maudu, October 27, 2016, 02:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Hi Sheridan,

You build the bait on the hook, such that the round of the bend is showing then the round of the hook bend is clipped onto the hook of the clip. Tension of the hook length of the trace keeps the sinker in place below the hook and bait, even through the cast and then when it touches down on the water, the release of that tension allows the hook and sinker to part company. The areodynamic improvement gives improved distance.

If you are getting baits breaking up during the cast, why are you not binding them in place with bait elastic, have been using it for years, it even hold sardine fillets in place without exploding with power casting.

If you can't get it locally try:   http://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Elastic.html

The normal super strecth we find the best, as it really keeps hold of the bait, you just wind the elastic on under tension, and then a sof tie off, and all is ready to cast.

Hope that all helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa, where the sun is going down

Jeri

CapeFish

Quote from: Jeri on October 31, 2016, 09:41:55 AM
Hi Steve,

The clip first mentioned in this discussion is a simple clip for attaching sinkers to the end of a nylon trace for surf casting. It then changed to 'hook clips', which do the same job but have a small side hook for distance surf castingm where the bait and hook are attached. See picture below:

The top loop of the clip is still attached to the nylon sinker dropper. The nylon sinker dropper is longer than the dropper for the hook length, and thus when all hooked up, the sinker is effectively 'carried' by the hook length - such that both are temporarily attached. This 'attachment' lasts through the course of the cast and flight out to the sea surface, where the tension that is holding the sinker in place - is then released, and drops free.

Hope this clears up your confusion. They are sinker attachment clips, with variations.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

They are very easy to make yourself, get some old stainless bicycle spokes. I made a small jig with 2x 4mm drill bits that I welded to a piece of steel, the gap in between the bits being equal to the diameter of the wire or spoke you are bending. THey work very well and can handle 9oz sinkers with clipped big shark baits. It makes for very versatile rigs and easily moving from one spot to the next as you just quickly detach the sinker.

Swami805

Ok that explains it perfectly. We use mainly live bait that we catch with sabikis, mackerel sardines and a few others. Now we use slider rigs but you're at the mercy of the bait swimming in the right direction, normally only one out of 3 or 4 will cooperate. With a long cast the angle of the line is such that gravity isn't very helpful so cut or dead bait isn't really effective. Once in a while the breeze will be just right and we use balloons and let the breeze take the bait into the zone.
One of the fellas makes snaps with bicycle spokes, I pass this along and get him to make some. In the mean time I'll buy some and give it a try.
Thanks a bunch for taking the time Jeri, this could work out well.
From sunny but breezey Santa Barbara, Sheridan 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jeri

Hi Sheridan,

If you are having trouble with sliding live baits out, especially with 'free slider' carriers - try using a non-return slider - see picture.

We use them for sliding out live or big dead baits. The split ring and swivel act as a stop before your sinker, and the hook length trace is attached to the swivel at the end of the long arm, as well as your live bait. Sinker is cast out, usually with a grapnel type lead, allowed to settle and gain good anchorage. The the live bait is mounted on the hook, and the non-reverse slider is coiled over your main line, and with the arm pointing towards the sea, the whole lot is allowed to slide down the main line. Sometimes a gentle jerking motion is needed at the tip of the rod to get the unit to slide past breakers, then the live bait just swims - it can't come backwards up the line, because the coils trap nto the line preventing that. Worth considering with your unco-operative live baits.

Hope thast helps

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

Swami805

That's looks like a handy item, Do you make those or buy them? Now we use a large snap swivel and a small egg sinker to get the bait below the birds a little quicker. I found cursing at the bait sometimes works, surprisingly it works a little better in Spanish than English. Going to try the clip on my next trip out. Appreciate the tips, thanks Jeri
Sheridan

Jeri

Hi Sheridan,

If you can't get them in US, try Veals on the earlier link, look under 'non-return clips'. There are various versions, the 'Breakaway' version is not as tidy. We buy them from RSA and retail them here in Namibia, but I also believe they are used in Hawaii.

Hope that helps.

Jeri

Swami805

Thanks Jeri, Ulua junkies has a similar clip and I have a buddy who makes snaps out of bicycle spokes who's working on some for me. Between the holidays and some windy weather haven't been out much.
Went a few weeks ago and we're there with a kid and his dad. The kid has a penn 500 with half a spool of old line and a beater old rod and catches a 50lb threser shark. Here we are with rolling tackle stores and we can't get a sniff to save our lives and a 10 year old shows us how it's done. The fish wrapped around a pier piling twice and unwrapped itself. We didn't have a gaff on the pier but I managed to get the front half of the shark in a hoop net made for crabbing. Fishing can be very humbling but I don't think there was a more excited kid or a prouder Dad in the state of California that day.
I"ll try and post a picture because I've learned from this site that without a picture it didn't happen!
Sheridan

Swami805

Here's the kid and the fish

Rivverrat

Jeri, thanks a lot for this. I have heard of this sliding system where you cast a sinker then slide your bait out on the line. I am going to make use of it this summer.  You have brought up other things in the past that have changed my thoughts on certain methods I'd rejected 180 degrees in the past. One of the big ones you brought up was your use of lever drags around sand. Something in the past I did a couple of times & swore I'd never do it again.

However after reading a post of yours speaking highly of lever drags for the surf I gave it another try at the river, changed my approach, using different reels & I now have no issue with it. It's not often I change my ways regarding my fishing. However I have found your knowledge a great benefit....Jeff  

The Great Maudu

Thank you fish-aholic for the link to the Gemini genie clips. As soon as I saw that name I remembered that's what they're called. I use these on my double drop Florida surf surf rigs. The leader has one tied to the end to clip a pyramid sinker to. The shock leader has one tied to the end of it that clips to a barrel swivel tied to the head of the leader. The hooks are tied to short lines with a loop knot on the end. The mate with a loop knot tied on the leader. It makes a very simple arrangement to fish with.