Did I just toasted a good graphite rod?

Started by steelfish, October 29, 2016, 07:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, I have a nice musky rod (Gander Mountn. store brand) that I've been using for inshore fishing in saltwater with good sucess, I really like it so, I wanted to change all the guides for better quality ones.
but since this wasnt a new rod, I have it since 7 years ago, the blank showed a lot of small nicks and scratches from normal wear and tear all along the blank, so my plan was to paint it again, the guides were taken out few days ago so, now my plan was to take the factory finish off the rod to paint it.
well I opted for using a fine sanding paper with a 1000 grit and lot of water.
but the more I was sanding the more noticiable were the nicks, so, I keep sanding.. well, yep, you now where this ended up, when I felt the blank was smooth to the touch and no visible nicks on it also because 70% of the blank was showing bare graphite,  dannG!!!
then I said, ^*^%#% this, lost the patience and just took a razor and scraped the remaining paint off the blank, it went out easily LOL.

Im pretty sure I didnt scratched anything with the razor cuz I always used on 90 degrees to scrap the paint off.
at the end of the day, the blank was all grey color with some dull parts so, I JUST finished what I started and started sanding it again until getting a nice translucent grey color (the wet translucent graphite look).

the blank looks like this but without the clearcoat, I havent put anything yet as finish, I was actually thinking in just put some varnish can call it a day, but I dont know if it will stand nicks and scratches.

well, what do you guys think?
should I continue and paint it, wrap the new ones on it and fish it or forget about it because its now a weak rod prone to break?

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

There is a lot of resin in the weave of that rod. I think you'll be fine for the type of fishing your describing. It is not like this is a 2x4 headed to cow town.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Sorry, none of those pictured Rods are mine, it was just to show how the graphite look, but only when it's wet when dry its dull grey

Pretty sure That when a coating is applied it Will look like the ones in the pictures
The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

That is what I am saying. There is still a lot of resin in the weave below the surface. I think you are fine.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

Ok, Thanks amigo thats nice to hear

It Will put me on a track again with this rod

The Baja Guy

Swami805

If you want to put a nice clear finish on it try CP XTRA. There's a place called voodoo rods in the inter web that sells it. One coat, hard as nails and as close to factory finish as your likely to get. I've been using it for awhile on old rods. Or just run what cha brung and fish it bare back. The blanks should be ok
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

thanks, I know voodoo rods store, I already got some accesories from them months weeks ago, I was told about CPxtra but didnt got it because I read that once the bottle is opened is kind of hard to storage for long time and it will dry, I really dont know how many more times I might be using it.

have you had any problems saving what left on the bottle for long time or do you use all bottle fast enough
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I put what I think I'll use in a glass shot glass and close it really quick. It evaporates out Of the shot glass almost before you can coat a whole blank. I've had it last a few month with no issues but had used the whole bottle by then. Also only one coat, the second coat will dissolve the first coat.  I try to buy a bunch of stuff to keep shipping down too so if I eat part of a bottle it won't be too bad. I re finish a few blanks a month best stuff I've found by far. Cleans up with acetone well too

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on October 30, 2016, 01:08:45 AM
I put what I think I'll use in a glass shot glass and close it really quick. It evaporates out Of the shot glass almost before you can coat a whole blank. I've had it last a few month with no issues but had used the whole bottle by then. Also only one coat, the second coat will dissolve the first coat. 

for some reason I dont rememer have seen this answer before.

are saying that CPxtra should be used as once coat only? not 2nd or 3rd coat needed or even possible?
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Quote from: steelfish on December 09, 2016, 09:04:41 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on October 30, 2016, 01:08:45 AM
I put what I think I'll use in a glass shot glass and close it really quick. It evaporates out Of the shot glass almost before you can coat a whole blank. I've had it last a few month with no issues but had used the whole bottle by then. Also only one coat, the second coat will dissolve the first coat. 

for some reason I dont rememer have seen this answer before.

are saying that CPxtra should be used as once coat only? not 2nd or 3rd coat needed or even possible?

Voodoo gives an very specific direction about cure time; you have to allow it to fully cure and you can use multiple coats.

Swami805

Just what I've found using it, the second just dissolved  the first and it got a little gloppy. I put the first coat on thick and keep it spinning until dry so it doesn't run. One coat does a nice job. Sheridan