113H Spool Tolerance & Water Intrusion

Started by Maxed Out, October 31, 2016, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

First off I'd like to say that this thread has no bad intent towards any reel maker. I own and use all of these. This is just to inform others of my observations and gather thoughts from others in the know.

We all know about the large main gear in a 113H. The gear and housing protrude beyond the spool and were it not for the inner chrome rings, the exposed part of the main gear would be inundated with water. The inner rings give the tight tolerance that keeps most water out.....now take away the inner rings and.......

.....Here are a few pics of spool tolerance on New style Tiburon w/built in rings, and then old style accurate. A noticeable gap on the accurate frame.

3rd pic is showing the gap by lighting up inside the frame.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Here we can see the cavity for the main gear with the old style plates and accurate frame. Any gap between the frame and spool will be open invitation for water onto the exposed part of the main gear.

See that silver lip just inside the edge of the frame, that's where the spool tolerance comes from. Notice cutout for the main gear goes outside of that.

Maxed Out

Drainage can also be an issue as lots of water comes in with the line. Here is Tib and Accurate frames. Not much drainage on lower part.

Also to add insult to injury, if you do have old style plates with accurate frame and you rinse your reel while your rod is upright, the water is draining right into the exposed area of the main gear.

All reels get some water intrusion, and I'm ok with the accurate frames, just requires a little upfront knowledge and a bit more maintenance.

Ted

swill88

Would it help to drill 'Maxdoubt holes' in the seat area of Tib & Accurate frames?

broadway

I would think that might add another place for corrosion to set in unless you re-anodize or grease very diligently.
Thanks for the informative post Ted.  You and I have discussed this when you brought it to my attention, but thanks for the photos to explain things.
We all know you aren't bashing because you own more Accurate/tib frames, etc. than 99% of us. ;)
Dom

Maxed Out

Here is a visual of the main gear as it sits in the reel with the accurate frame. Notice the gap between the frame and spool and how the main gear is exposed to water intrusion thru that gap.

Tightlines667

Thanks for pointing this out Ted.  The pictures speak 1000 words.  For some reason I was thinking the tollerances in general were a bit tighter on the Accurate frames, and plates then on the Tib frame married to stock plates.  Now you've got me thinking a bit about the different combination new and old style Penn plates, Accurate, Tib, Cortez Conversions, JVariance, ProGear, etc... and the resulting gaps that may exist. 

All reals are prone to some water intrusion, and most will drain, and dry without creating real problems.  Good marine grade grease will keep the water, and salt from creating corrosion issues between service intervals in most cases.

With your reel there, I wonder if the bridge will help a but, with regards to protecting your main.  Looks like hanging tue reels below the rod would be the best way to store them after use. 

The other question I have...

Is there a different spool that might offer closer tollerances with these frames? 

It seems to me that in either case, real world use followed by observation might be needed to determine if the perceived problem warrents an engineering fix.

Then again, we have plenty of members here who love to engineer :)

Maybe improvements can be made?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.