Penn 155 Frankenreel.

Started by JRD, November 01, 2016, 03:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Long story short, my girlfriend's young son expressed an interest in fishing so I went in search of a cheap reel I wouldn't cry about if it went into the water. I came across a Penn 155.  Great! Small real it's going to fit into his hand with a new drag set it's going to be perfect for 10 to 15 pound test and fit on the Calstar 196 I have.  $20 and I scored.  It turns out he is deathly seasick so no problem the real goes back into my bag. As I keep reading through the site I'm seeing other people's 155s and something keeps tugging at my brain. So today I pulled the reel.  You tell me what's wrong with this picture.

The spool is unmarked and shown with a 506 spool comparison.  The reel seat is a 30-49 and the cross bars are unmarked plastic with brass inserts.

Bryan Young

I don't know about the spool, but those bars are Newell.  They are made from a graphite composite material.  They will keep the frame straighter and the reel is lighter than if provided with posts,  Good buy of $20
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

That looks like a #29L-100 spool...which would fetch your 20 bucks back all by itself. I'd say you got a great deal on a cool little reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JRD

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 01, 2016, 03:37:38 PM
I don't know about the spool, but those bars are Newell.  They are made from a graphite composite material.  They will keep the frame straighter and the reel is lighter than if provided with posts,  Good buy of $20

I thought Newell but haven't owned a set with the metal caps across the top of the bar before.

Porthos

Your 155 was narrowed with Surfmaster 100 Newell bars, 30-49 foot, and the 29L-100 spool. It's functionally equivalent to a modded Penn 27.

Additional upgrades worth considering beyond new greased HT-100 washers (if you don't already have):

• 98-155AT
  • 13-200
  • 24-56 or other Jigmaster power handle

If it had a Tiburon frame instead of bars + foot, it will for sure fish as a 40lb setup at 12lbs drag, 300+ yards 50lb braid, and 40lb mono topshot.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15627.0

As yours is configured, I'd comfortably consider fishing it up to a 30lb setup at 10lbs drag and maybe jump to 40lbs topshot in a pinch but at 11lbs drag. YMMV...

Ron Jones

If you added a Newell stand, it fishes 40# braid like a dream. The Newell stand can usually be found on the Bay for much less than a Tib frame.
Really nice reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Porthos on November 01, 2016, 05:31:24 PM

Additional upgrades worth considering beyond new greased HT-100 washers (if you don't already have):

• 98-155AT
  • 13-200
  • 24-56 or other Jigmaster power handle

I have SS AR dogs too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

You did really good JRD, might be one of mine, all my 155 are narrowed. :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Can a 501 spool be used to narrow these?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

Quote from: basto on November 02, 2016, 11:35:31 PM
Can a 501 spool be used to narrow these?
Basto

No, they ues a 29L-100.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

JRD

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 01, 2016, 08:18:03 PM
You did really good JRD, might be one of mine, all my 155 are narrowed. :)

It was purchased here in .SoCal, maybe it migrated to warmer weather. 

Penn Chronology

That reel is a Eclectic 180!!! ;D I fish one just like it. It will comfortable handle anything up to a 50 Striper, or maybe even bigger fish. Great Reel. The 155 side plate is the same plate as the Model 180, 160 or Model 25, 26 or 27. That reel is easily worth $50.00.

reel man

The Newell support posts (bars) are plastic so at least the front bar has a stainless steel rod (line guard) to keep the line from digging into the plastic bar.