Newell advertisement question

Started by Big Tim, November 03, 2016, 12:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

OK Newell Nuts...Can you tell me approximately when this paper came out...Thanks.

Tim

Newell Nut

MarkT

It's advertising the G Series so it has to be late 80's to early 90's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Hamachi

I'd say mid to late '80's only 'cause they all still have "z" handles and stainless jack, just to raise a little controversy.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

MarkT

Good eye Warren. Those are early G's!

Hamachi

I bought a p220f and a p338f new from turners back in 82-83 for $169 maybe 84, but I didn't revisit Newell until the no letter 641 years later. Missed the change so I'm just guessing. They're not leftover p handles though. You could be right, Mark.

MarkT

Hamachi

Acquired a g440 almost by accident, after I said I would never own one, turns out it's a great yo-yo jig reel. Same size as a 533 just a lightweight version (no double dog, smaller drags, smaller spool shaft and bearings?)

Hamachi

Quote from: MarkT on November 03, 2016, 03:06:17 AM
No G322?

Back in the day, they just didn't look right to me. Stupid me. I guess you could buy a tib spool and frame and bryans side plates and put one together, if you wanted one today.

reel man

Brochure is from 1984, lots of engineering changes to get the G series off the ground.  Last year of production in '83 the P series had switched to the 3 stack drag system.

Big Tim

Thanks guys...I knew one of you would know.

Tim