Saltist bought the CABO 60PTSE instead

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, October 27, 2016, 11:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I never fished a saltist spinner, I've only rebuilt them. The gears always felt smooth to me but apparently that doesn't mean they are strong.....

To be honest, I've never really liked any of Daiwas spinning reels. I've never touched their high end stuff but all their low to mid priced spinners have never impressed me.

The Daiwa conventional reels however I'm a big fan of. The saltist 35 is one of my favorite reels. The Sealine is a really good value reel as well.

The Cabo isn't my favorite reel either but I like it a lot better. I have a Cabo PTSD. In general, I've encountered a lot of difficulty getting parts from Quantum. A lot of stuff gets discontinued quickly. They sent me the wrong parts more than once. The body on mine snapped once. I had to replace most of the bearings. Both gears had to be replaced. Now it works perfectly again so I love it. However, I know the next time it has an issue, I'm hosed.

exp2000

Quote from: FatTuna on November 02, 2016, 08:32:35 AM
I never fished a saltist spinner, I've only rebuilt them. The gears always felt smooth to me but apparently that doesn't mean they are strong.....

To be honest, I've never really liked any of Daiwas spinning reels. I've never touched their high end stuff but all their low to mid priced spinners have never impressed me.

The Daiwa conventional reels however I'm a big fan of. The saltist 35 is one of my favorite reels. The Sealine is a really good value reel as well.

The Cabo isn't my favorite reel either but I like it a lot better. I have a Cabo PTSD. In general, I've encountered a lot of difficulty getting parts from Quantum. A lot of stuff gets discontinued quickly. They sent me the wrong parts more than once. The body on mine snapped once. I had to replace most of the bearings. Both gears had to be replaced. Now it works perfectly again so I love it. However, I know the next time it has an issue, I'm hosed.

The high end Daiwas are another thing entirely. They must come out of a vastly different factory as they are truly fine pieces of machinery. It's a shame that the Daiwa Spin Doctors (pun alert) hijack the names of their flagship reels and paste them on inferior models to promote sales. Such dishonesty ultimately only serves to promote distrust among consumers who end up bitterly disappointed in the Daiwa name.

The latest generation Shimano spinners are quite revolutionary in my view. Both the Saragosa SW and the Stradic FK are completely different reels to their predecessors which already enjoyed excellent reputations. The only thing they have in common is the name. Their internal design is very different, featuring big improvements. And now with a range of gearing to suit any application, I think that they are pretty much untouchable in this price bracket. While I can't remember the last time I serviced one, traditionally the Daiwa Certates also enjoy a very good reputation.

I hear what you say about parts availability for Quantum. This is also the case with other brands such as Pfleuger etc. For this reason, I generally advise people to stick with Daiwa and Shimano.
~

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: FatTuna on November 02, 2016, 08:32:35 AM
The Cabo isn't my favorite reel either but I like it a lot better. I have a Cabo PTSD.

I have the PTSE and not sure what the differences are, don't have a PTSD, but from the readings i've done on the internet it's a much improved CABO compared to the PTSD. With regards to parts hopefully before something breaks i'll have parts that needs to stock.

Maybe you have read Alan Hawk's review if not here's the link;

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/cbo14.html

tight lines!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

FatTuna

I haven't done that much reading on it but I did have to call Quantum. They said the major difference is the gear set. There could be more but the reels look almost identical. I think a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

I've worked on a few other PTSDs and these are the reoccurring issues that I've come across: anti-reverse clutch failure, gear wear, broken crosswind block, bad bearings (specifically in the roller), I've seen two that had cracks in the frame.

It's definitely a good looking reel and I really like the handle. Puts out a good drag. I plan to keep mine it and fish it. I like the size.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

FT probably parts are inter-changeable maybe schematics of both the same model will help...will do this myself later much later, 1st things first,

tight lines!