Shimano TLD25 vs Fin Nor SLD25

Started by Srjake, November 04, 2016, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srjake

Currently using Shimano tld20's, going to upgrade to new 25's. Any suggestions on which one? I understand the Fin Nor's are discontinued but still available with one year warranty

conchydong

The TLD 25 isn't really a upgrade over the 20, just more capacity. You can gain more capacity on the 20 by using a braid backing with a mono topshot. I would stick with what you have. I personally like the older Japanese made TLD's better than the new Malaysian produced ones, not sure which you have.

The Fin Nor may be great, but you would have to think about ease of obtaining parts down the road.

Srjake

I guess upgrade might have been wrong term, 20's are like30 years old just ready for something new . Trying to decide between Shimano or Fin Nor's

conchydong

Quote from: Srjake on November 04, 2016, 05:26:40 PM
I guess upgrade might have been wrong term, 20's are like30 years old just ready for something new . Trying to decide between Shimano or Fin Nor's

Got it. I personally haven't fished the Penn Fathom lever drag yet, but if I was looking to upgrade a TLD without breaking the bank, those are what I would strongly consider. Like I said, parts for a discontinued Fin Nor, may be a problem.

Good Luck,
Scott

RowdyW

I have a Squall 40 and a 60 LD's which are similar to the Fathoms. I think the gearing is to high. I like the gear ratio in the TLD 20 & 25 better for my type of fishing. The higher ratios might be better for casting lures & jigging.

mley1

What about the two speed Fathom lever drags? I have a 30 and a 15. I haven't fished much with them yet, but I think they're going to be great fishing from a boat. Casting can be a challenge if you're not use to them, but doable. Just test casting them in the yard took some getting used to. There aren't any breaks on them at all. So, if you have the bearings spinning fast it can be a bit tough slowing them down. I have the 30 on a Ugly Stik Custom Big Water rod with 80lb braid on it. The 15 is on a Shimano Trevala jigging rod with 40lb braid on it. With the big rod I skinned my thumb pretty good trying to slow down a 4oz weight. May be smart to load a little less line and use the side of the spool. Lesson learned on my part.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

RowdyW

Try a glove. I find that a golf glove works good. It's also good for guiding braid back onto the spool when retrieving line.     Rudy