Newbie saying Hello and Thanks

Started by LilRascal, November 05, 2016, 05:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilRascal

All,

I've been trolling the site for a while and recently registered. I wanted to say thanks to all the contributors to the site as you've given me the confidence of completing my first rebuild (Tekota 700) that had a frozen drag. The project went smoothly with just a few hiccups which I chalk up to the learning process. I didn't have any failures I just found out several ways not to do things, such as working with some very small parts over berber carpet. Without the content on this site I never would have attempted it. One thing that I did learn is that I thoroughly enjoyed the process both research on this site and the actual rebuild. I plan on going through all of my reels and doing a few for friends to get some experience underneath me.

I would appreciate some advice from you all and after reading many posts I'm sure I can rely on the members here. I'm considering putting enough time and effort into this new passion to be able to do it on a part time basis for income. I have a career as a consulting engineer as well as a small construction business. The engineering provides decent income but not quite enough. Hence the construction business. At this point in my life I have done enough damage to my body physically that I cannot continue in the construction industry. I also found that one of the biggest hassles of being a small business owner is dealing with employees. I've noticed that local anglers (SE North Carolina) are always posting on the local website for reel repair and servicing and there does not seem to be much in the area (most ship their equipment to FL). I was considering that this might be a decent option for the future. I would truly appreciate anything you members could offer in the way of advice. How long do you think it would take to be up and running proficiently? ANy clue on capital investment to set up a decent shop? How about training and certification sources?

Again Many thanks to you all,

Chris Conway
Chris
CB, NC

foakes

Welcome, Chris --

If I was starting out from scratch today -- my approach would be this:

Basic tools -- might spend $100.

Ultrasonic cleaner -- might spend $200 on ebay.

Cleaning solutions such as a gallon of simple green, purple ZEP, lacquer thinner, dawn dish soap, white vinegar, mineral spirits, "0000" steel wool, cheap toothbrushes from the dollar store, wide mouth glass containers, etc. -- might spend $50.

Synthetic oil, Yamaha Marine grease, and Cal's drag grease -- might spend $50.

Scour yard sales and such for any type of reels -- buy a few dozen for a few bucks apiece -- might spend $200.

Work on these reels one at a time -- until you understand the operation, principles, and become somewhat comfortable with your skill level.

The basic reels to master might be -- conventional salt, spinners, baitcasters, higher end 2-speeds, etc.  Be careful of cheap plastic throw away reels -- parts break when disassembling and cleaning -- parts are unavailable -- and they will waste all of your time -- and you will become discouraged.  Just keep mastering and moving through experiences on quality, basic reels.

Work on reels for local folks (not friends -- it is hard to charge friends what the work is worth -- so you end up doing everything for free -- and that costs you time and money).

After 6 months or so, re-evaluate your passion -- see if you want to continue -- or pull the plug.

HAVE FUN!

Do not treat this endeavor as a business, or try to make a living at this point in time -- just a hobby that may or may not pay for itself -- no worries that way.

Go with your instincts -- but be brutally honest with yourself -- if no one else -- and keep your initial expenses very low -- and your learning curve very high.

We will all have opinions and help you as possible -- but basically it is up to you -- like most things in Life.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelfish

Extremely Well said Fred,

For me one of the most important part of this business is to like and enjoy fishing not as purely comercial business or you will end up frustated for the net earnings versus the time invested.
Most of the time reel and Rod repair Shop started as hobby for some long time útil feeling confident on the many diferent schematics and mechanical differences on fishing reels.
My advice is to read a lot and ask everything, in this hobby business a small mistake can be a very expensive mistake
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Very complete Fred. Thanks not only for Chris but for others out there as well.

In this biz, you will not get rich. It's also hard to make a living off of this stuff, but as side income it is okay. It pays for me to develop upgrade reel parts. Again not much money as I have to subcontract out the work, and R&D gets expensive real quick.

BUT, my real gift in all of this is the friendships that I have made.  Alan, Lee, Dominick, Sal, Wayne, Jon, Hank, Joey, Fred,... and spouses, of course, are all Hanai (adopted family).  I'm so blessed and privileged to know each of them. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 05, 2016, 06:56:11 PM
Very complete Fred. Thanks not only for Chris but for others out there as well.

In this biz, you will not get rich. It's also hard to make a living off of this stuff, but as side income it is okay.  

Bryan and SF are pretty accurate, IMO --

It is like the old adage --

"If you want to make a small fortune in the reel repair business -- just start with a large one".

I guess one last thing I forgot to mention -- Find your niche -- don't try to be all things to all people.

Nearly everyone on the Alan Tani Site has one thing that they specialize in really well...

If you specialize in one area of tackle repair, and develop a following, and perhaps become somewhat of an expert in that arena -- you will have more enjoyment, more clients, and more satisfaction from your craft.

As you go on, learn to turn down jobs in a nice way, if you feel you cannot satisfy the client -- or yourself with the outcome.

For me, I specialize in the older reels -- but I still do about 50% of the repairs on everything out there -- because I can -- but there is a certain satisfaction for me in specializing in the Quicks, Penns, Shimanos, Daiwas, Cardinals, Mitchells, ABUs, and such.  And I have developed a world-wide following in helping others to either work on their own gear -- or to do it for them.  

Don't have to make money on every thing we do -- in sharing, as well as friendships developed -- we become rich in a different way.  

Plus, as we help others either with knowledge or experience -- plenty will come back to us.

And, always challenge yourself with new techniques and systems for better productivity.

Be proud of what you do -- and do it as well as you can -- pretend you are going to fish every reel you work on -- and you will do fine...

Oh, and keep your day job...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

akfish

It's tough making a living fixing reels, but I am lucky enough to have found niche: I live in Juneau, Alaska where just about everyone fishes and there are lots of lodges and charter boats in the area that trust me with their reels. I am also the only reel repair person in town. I've been doing it essentially full time since 2001 and do something in excess of 1100 reels per year. To grow my business to this size required a couple things: a commitment to never send out a reel that wasn't perfect, and the ability to keep a large enough parts inventory to make it possible to turn around reels fairly quickly. I do not advertise; most of my customers are repeat business although I get a few new ones each year through referrals.

An important thing that you should consider is what you will be charging and how long it takes to service a reel. $20 per reel and two reels per hour doesn't add up very quickly.

My advice is this: At first, only do it for fun for friends and family. It your business expands on its own, be happy with that. But don't jump in too fast or spend too much money until you are sure there is a supply of reels for you to service.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tightlines667

Good advice here. 

I would echo the other's comments, and ad that this site and the support of the local community gave me the confidence and the skills to start my part-time reel repair buisness.  Over these past several years I made just enough money from the venture to invest in the tools, eauiptment, and parts inventory for the buisness itself.  There was enough of a small profit to start my fishing reel collection, and hotrod a few of my personal reels as well.

However, all said, the reel addiction has cost me more then I've made.  Bottom line, is you have got to look at it as a hobby, and not a big money making venture.  As far as fostering a hobby, it has been a great sucess.

Best of luck in your venture.  There is plenty of support here.

Welcome!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I started in the late 70's because I couldn't afford a new reel every year. Most of the work was a for me and friends. Thats how it all starts. This was part time only and not all the time. I had to fish too..!

The last 3 years Ive only been fishing 2 to 4 times a year it seems. Mostly because I'm older and only like calm seas.

I'm retired from a regular job and work everyday on reels. I service all reels including electric reels. I stay just busy enough to where i still enjoy it. There will be times that it is hard work when you get backed up.

Just do as previously posted and get comfortable with all types of reels because they will come your way.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

LilRascal

Thank you all so much for adding something to my inquiries. After reading all of your posts for the past few months there were several people that I was hoping would chime in and you have. I cannot thank you enough. Your advise is invaluable. You're a phenomenal group which is rare to find on the web, at least without the trolls.

You've confirmed several of my suspicions, mainly that this is a labor of love. I was more of hoping to experience the adage of doing something that I enjoyed so much that it wouldn't feel like work. My plan was to begin working on my and friends reels in order to gain the experience and confidence and then go from there. I would still function in my consulting arena and hopefully provide reel work part-time and for supplemental income. We'll see how this all goes along the slow and steady route.

Again thanks for the advise and future support.
Chris
CB, NC

alantani

yeah, not something you will be able to make a living at.  it's a great way to kill alot of time, though.  keep us updated on your progress!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome to the Darkside Chris.....No turning back now.... ;D   Bill Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

Hmm?  You mean it's possible to actually receive money in exchange for working on reels?  :o  I've only experienced the side where I invest money for parts to make awesome reels, then shelf them and do another one, and another one and another one.   ::) ::) ::)
When I retire I'm going to sell them all for half what I paid for them, write the other half off as a tax loss and by sheer volume alone I will have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of my life.  I don't care if it's not a good plan, it's my plan and I'm sticking with it.   ;D