Newell custom build

Started by reel man, November 05, 2016, 05:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

Just finished putting a set of 3.2 gears in a Newell 533 5.5.  Why you ask, because it'll make a very nice dropper loop reel, and it's only 2" wide with a 5 stack drags using HT100, and my ground flat drag discs.  The 3.2 main gear was counter bored .070 for the extra drags and the bridge sleeve (gear sleeve) modified to allow the drag stack to firmly set on the bottom of the main gear.  I can fill it with braid, and a 10-20' of 60# mono, and fish it on a Calstar 6465H.

Newell Nut

Jerry

Was the Yoke Modification all that you needed to do as we discussed to fit the Pinion OD? And of course I know you used one of Tom's sleeves for the spool.
I know Andy Smith wants to do one of these.
Dwight

Bryan Young

Could I just modify the yoke or do I need a yoke and jack plate too?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

reel man

Standard yoke that comes in most Newell reels had to be opened up to accept the larger 3.2 pinion gear, and I opened up the hole in the bridge plate to gain some more clearance for that fat pinion.

The gear sleeve has some issues with not sliding down on the spindle.  It's a little too snug, so drilled it out a couple thou, and that fixed that problem.

A standard 3.2 main gear will work fine with either the 3 stack, or Bryan's 5 stack.

After all this is a dropper loop reel.

steelhead_killer

Will you be outlining the process with some good pictures?  :)

Andy
><)))">