Custom Handle for Penn Formula Reels

Started by nordrabe, April 01, 2011, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nordrabe

Hi,

a while ago I was looking around for a custom handle for my Penn Formula 10kg. Unfortunately I didn't find what I was looking for, so I decided to have one build. My plan was to go with a handle made out of aluminum and have it eloxated, but I changed my mind. Alan suggested 316 stainless steel, which would have been the optimum. The guy that made the handle for me in the end only got 304 stainless steel, so I took that well knowing, that it will need some care from time to time. I measured the old handle arm and modified it to fit my expectations.

This is the result.

PS: The dimensions in the drawing are all in mm

alantani

very nice!!!!!  i would have left the arm length the same.  as you fish with it, please let us know how the longer arm works for you.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nordrabe

Thanks,

we use this reel in Norway for deepsea fishing. That means we are fishing in depth to 1000 ft with lead weights up to 3 lbs. The fish aren't that fast and strong in the colder water anyway, but we need some extra torque to make the cranking less exhausting especially if we don't catch anything. That's why I made the arm longer.
I will test it end of may.

Marco

alantani

304 stainless will be fine.  just pack some grease in the creases. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!