Bearings Maintenance 101 Revisited - Need Guidance

Started by drichitt, April 01, 2011, 05:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drichitt

I have studied Alan's detailed post about bearings and still don't fully understand a few things (call me slow :-[). I have 2 concerns and maybe should have used 2 separate posts, but here goes:

-Do you repack, or service, a bearing just because it is there or only if it needs it? Or, are some bearings more deserving of attention than others? I am confused about this only because when I look at Alan's various rebuild posts he puts a couple drops of corrosion X on the sideplate bearings, or bearings found in a bridge on a 330, and moves on. I have been avoiding these little suckers for long enough and need to get a better understanding of what needs what.

-I have just disassembled my very old greenie Penn 704 (without the 'Z') for it's first ever servicing. It hasn't been used in many years and was in pretty good shape on the inside. The only bearing (#20-704) is a big pinion bearing and seems to be turning very smoothly, but since I am new at this I am not sure if it is really 'smooth' enough. Since it is so large I figured this bearing will be my Waterloo or break through. It has pressed in metal shields (oh great!) and this is where I missed something from reviewing Alan's post. I understand about the thin metal shield being toast once removed. But once the bearings are cleaned out (CRC w minimal compressed air), I should repack it with Yamaha grease and then re-install it with the one side open? If so, should the open side be away from the spool or face it, or does it matter? Or do I just put on a few drops of Corrosion X and move on?

For others new like me, here is the link to Alan's excellent explanation about the 4 different bearing types...http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13.0

Thanks....Don

Norcal Pescador

Doug -
I'll be the first to offer my 2-cents worth. The basic premise is for casting reels, spool bearings get light oil, all other bearings and all bearings for jigging and trolling should be packed with grease.
If a reel is getting periodic maintenance (annual, 6-months, whatever) I will touch up bearings with a little more lube if no issues have arisen (grittiness, slowdown, etc.) If issues have come up, I'll pull the bearing for inspection/repacking/replacement.
For a brand new reel, I will pull bearings and lube appropriately. If it's an old reel or one that service history is unknown, I'll treat it the same as a new reel.
I agree with you that if only one shield is pulled, though not the best method, the open side should face the bearing cup (away from the spool) but it could still be a mess. I hated bearings with pressed-in shields because I couldn't adequately pack them, but with Alan's bearing packers, it's no longer an issue.
Did I cover everything? Are you more confused now? ;D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

drichitt

Thanks Rob...I remember seeing Alan's bearing re-packing kit somewhere on this site. So with that set-up you really don't need to pull the shield, as I remember. Sounds like a no-brainer to me; Alan still doesn't have a PayPal account yet, does he ;D?. You brought up another point.  You will re-pack the bearings on a new reel and I would guess the same applies to a new bearing? ....DON

Norcal Pescador

Oops, sorry, Don. :-[
The bearing packers are here:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=870.0  Leave the shields on and pump away (gently :) ).
I think Alan has PayPal, but last I heard he only likes to accept it for overseas orders. Send him a PM.
Yes, I just packed some new bearings yesterday. If a bearing says it's greased from the factory, there's no guarantee it's packed 100% which is necessary to keep water out.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

drichitt

You noticed me yelling ;D...  Order for the bearing packer kit has been placed. Am I correct in understanding that I will use this packer for all 4 different types of bearings (open, with plastic type shields, with ring retainer held shields and pressed in shields)?....Don

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

drichitt

Quote from: alantani on April 01, 2011, 11:20:01 PM
rarely it will push the shield out. 

I thought that was one of the advanatges of using the packer, so you could leave the pressed in shields in place.

alantani

sorry, that should be the seal, not the shield.  the bearings with phenolic seals are very easily picked out.  it you force grease into one side, it is then forced out the otherside.  rarely the grease lifts up the seal on the outgoing side.  you just need to press it back in.

drichitt

Thanks for the clarification Alan. That makes perfect sense that that type of shield (seals) would not hold up under pressure and your post showed how to get those seals out without too ::) much trouble.

alantani

you're going to love the bearing packer.  it saves me a ton of time.  packing bearings takes 5 seconds.  also, you can pack a half dozen bearings and it's just paid for itself.