Burned stainless yoke

Started by JRD, November 14, 2016, 09:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

This was buried in another thread but still looking for an idea.  I purchased a reel with a little salt intrusion.  Running a stainless main and pinion.  The pinion yoke looks burnt, the purple does not scrub off and it's darker at the bridge screw tabs more so than where the pinion rides.  There are no burrs on the pinion and it's not tight in the yoke.  There are no other signs of heat in the reel, the drags and washers were fine.

Bill B

JRD, the main gear and pinion gear look to be near new condition, and the yoke looks terrible, could it be you bought a reel assembled from parts, kinda like a MOPAR vehicle (Miscellaneous Oddball Parts Assembled at Random   ;D), or possible the yoke was stained with a "blueing" agent simliar to a firearm...maybe take some emory cloth and try polishing the yoke to see how deep the coloration is....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

I've never seen a yoke like that?
It looks like someone installed a hardened insert in it?
I'm nowhere near an expert on the subject many here will no better than I, but that's an odd yoke, I'd try swapping it with a stock or BP stainless one.

Gfish

What size yoke's it(reel size)? And does it work inthe reel? Any excessive wear?
Lookin' for one for a 113H.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Maybe its a poor mans stainless yoke. Brazed an insert too it. Just a guess.
Life is Good!

JRD

Quote from: Gfish on November 14, 2016, 11:02:12 PM
What size yoke's it(reel size)? And does it work inthe reel? Any excessive wear?
Lookin' for one for a 113H.
Gfish
[/qeuote]

The reel is a 3/0 Magnum so it's running 113h gears in a 112h body.  All the parts were equally dirty leading me to believe they were both installed at or around the same time.  I haven't had a chance yet to measure it so it's either a 113h yoke or a jigmaster / 112h which has been bored for the bigger pinion.  It just odd that there is evidence of such high heat but only on the yoke.  I would believe that it would have to be near red hot to discolor that way and there was no evidence on the gears.or.eccentric plate much less the drags.  

JRD

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 14, 2016, 11:08:00 PM
Maybe its a poor mans stainless yoke. Brazed an insert too it. Just a guess.

It's one solid piece and is stainless, what liooks like an insert is the wear line.

Bryan Young

Looks like someone tried to heat treat it.

The yoke looks worn as well. If you need a replacement, it looks like the same yoke used in the ProGear 545/541 that I just got cut. I should have those available in a week or two.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cortez_Conversions

IMHO, the burns are from shaping on a belt sander.
Maybe trying fab a custom yoke?
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

JRD

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 15, 2016, 01:07:23 AM
IMHO, the burns are from shaping on a belt sander.
Maybe trying fab a custom yoke?

I think your right.  I got a.chance to compare them this afternoon.  Here is a Penn 500, my yoke then a 113h. Then a picture of the Magnum yoke on top of the 500 yoke.  They must have really put the grind to it for the stainless to get so hot.  I'm gonna go slow in milling the new one.

JRD

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 14, 2016, 11:38:41 PM

The yoke looks worn as well. If you need a replacement, it looks like the same yoke used in the ProGear 545/541 that I just got cut. I should have those available in a week or two.

Bryan your yoke would save me alot of time and hassle, from the Picts.can you tell if it will be close?  I'm thinking of running one of your drag kits anyway and will just order both.

Bryan Young

Quote from: JRD on November 15, 2016, 04:33:49 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on November 14, 2016, 11:38:41 PM

Bryan your yoke would save me alot of time and hassle, from the Picts.can you tell if it will be close?  I'm thinking of running one of your drag kits anyway and will just order both.

I'll post pics when I return from Florida.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

Looking at it now it looks obvious, someone worked on the reel, need a replacement yoke, couldn't find the correct one so they ground out a 500 yoke, the little ears AR the remains of the 500 larger ears, they overheated the heck out of it.  I wouldn't try to milk out another one, look how narrow it becomes compared to stock width yokes. 
The correct yoke is out there and Bryans drag kit will make it smooth as butter.