Coloring stainless

Started by reel man, November 23, 2016, 05:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

I know stainless can not be anodized, but there is a bluing process they use on stainless parts of guns, so was wondering if that type of application could be used on fishing reel parts, and more importantly could this process have a color change from blue to whatever?

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Rivverrat

Yes, it can be done. However it requires a bit more involvement than most who have just a few reel parts would want to try. I used to use Oxanate No.84 I had some very good results with it. It was not as sensitive to differing stainless alloys as some other methods....Jeff

gstours

It depends what color you desire, but simply adding heat will color change stainless steel.  Blue and browns are some results I have used.   Just an idea?     gst.

Rivverrat

Quote from: gstours on November 24, 2016, 02:59:37 PM
It depends what color you desire, but simply adding heat will color change stainless steel.  Blue and browns are some results I have used.   Just an idea?     gst.
Yup...& it's really not a bad one at all. If someone doesnt mind experimenting with it & use it for parts that dont see much of a load....Jef