Making a Few New Mitchell 308 Ultralites

Started by foakes, November 10, 2016, 06:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Was going throigh some boxes of Mitchell New Old Stock parts today -- found a stash of new body/housings.

Just checked -- have everything else to complete at least 7 of these -- internals, sideplates, rotors, cranks, gears, springs, screws, bails, trip levers, bearings, etc..

Might as well build them out.

These are very nice tiny high quality reels -- with a great performance history -- and very popular.

Tough little reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

There is a saying that those with the most toys win.

In your case those with the most parts win.............You are the winner by a knock-out Fred  ;)
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Hi Fred,
will you be selling any of these 308s? My brother has been looking for one of these. I would say he could do no better than to have one assembled by you...it would be right.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: noyb72 on November 11, 2016, 05:06:54 AM
Those are fun. Anything for South Paws?
Ron

Out of around 400 Mitchells -- not many -- probably only 20 or so left-hander reels with the crank on the right side, Ron.

Industry specs have told us that anywhere from 1 in 20 -- to 1 in 30 reels were made as Right Hand Crankers.

I could never figure out why some manufacturers such as Mitchell would not offer a switch-hitter handle on all reels as standard -- many earlier companies did offer this such as Quick, Daiwa, Shimano, and others.

Guess it had to do with the undue complication involved.  In Mitchell's case -- it involved much more than just a crank change, opposite threaded main, and maybe an oscillation arm reversing.

Nearly half of the parts were left specific -- crank, gears, bail, bail spring, rotor, housing, side plate, and more.

I probably have more lefties mixed in with the typical righters -- but will need to dig them out sometime.

309, 409, 301, 401, 411, 331, 441, 303, 403, 307 are all left hand numbers that you can find.

I do not have all of these numbers -- but unfortunately do have a fair amount of NOS parts for the left-hand reels -- since they are rarely used up.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on November 11, 2016, 02:51:30 PM
  Hi Fred,
will you be selling any of these 308s? My brother has been looking for one of these.

Glad to help, if possible, Mo...

Problem would be that these are fairly desirable in our neck of the woods -- and I can easily get $40 or $50 for an average used 308.  And at that point -- they still require a complete service and a few replacement parts to bring them up to yours and my fishable standards.  Some nearly new old ones I have sold have gone for $75-$100.  Sold a new 408 with all papers and a box for $298 about 7 years ago to a fellow in New York.

So I will likely try and sell these to clients or friends at about $75 to $100 -- with mostly new parts.

For those active members on our site -- might be able to do $65-$70.

I have a couple of crates of used ones for a little less -- but for the used ones, as well as the mainly new ones -- when they are gone -- they are gone.

Very good, tough and attractive little reels that fit in the palm of your hand.

Good for backpacking also.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

Quote from: noyb72 on November 11, 2016, 05:06:54 AM
Those are fun. Anything for South Paws?
Ron

Got an older 301(left-handed 300, e.g., spring loaded fold-away handle w/ round knob,etc.) if you or anyone else's interested. PM me.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

This came in the mail the other day.

I will soon be looking for its little brothers.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Nice Fred.

I spy with my little eye a 304.  

That was my favorite reel growing up...well, it was my only reel growing up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

No Bryan --

Those are 305s with the crank on the right side for left handed anglers.

I have about 30 or 40 304, 314, 315 though -- even a couple of old CAPs with the half bail and pillar spools.

And a 314S.

These are all the old small round bodied Mitchells that were the precurser to the 300.

And they work very well -- dead simple and tough.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Putting together a tiny Mitchell 308 for Mike (mo65) -- as a Xmas gift for his brother.

Will post pics when complete.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 11, 2016, 10:26:34 PM
Nice Fred.

Do you still have your original 304, Bryan?

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

Quote from: foakes on November 12, 2016, 02:54:11 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on November 11, 2016, 10:26:34 PM
Nice Fred.

Do you still have your original 304, Bryan?

Best,

Fred
I think so. It's in Hawaii. Not sure if the condition. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

This is awesome...I've said before that I'd love to sit with a cup of coffee and watch Fred build a reel...that's exactly what I'm doing now...via the interwebs. Looks great Fred! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

I have learned more from everyone on here than you will ever learn from me -- and you have taught me much, Mike.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.