West Australia

Started by jurelometer, November 10, 2016, 01:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Open water fishing around Exmouth has a variety of willing species-the fishing can get spectacular. The gulf flats are much more challenging, but also can be rewarding.  The last day on the flats I had only about  half a dozen shots by late morning.   A variety of (my) screwups,  plus two nice permit that rushed the crab fly and wouldn't stick, then I finally had some luck.  My guide, Brett Wolf spotted a big GT (AKA Ulua: Caranx ignobilis) coming into range.   I dropped the rod with the permit fly while Brett handed me the GT rod we had prepared for this possibility- line stripped out and ready to go.  The GT was closing fast straight toward the boat.  In just three feet depth, it was going to be spooked by the boat in a manner of seconds - just enough time for a quick cast.  For some strange reason, the fly landed ahead and to the side of the fish, right where Brett wanted me to put it.  The GT rushed the fly and after the hookset went nuts and weaved through the coral bommies on its way to open water.    Around 20 minute later, it was boatside.   A quick photo- back in the water in a few seconds- and off it goes...

Brett's guess on the size  was around 40 kilos!!!  It is unlikely that I will ever see a GT that big again, much less land one flats fishing. 

Other fish for the trip included some nice bonefish, queenfish, golden trevally- dropped a cobia that hit a popper.  The flats were thick with turtles, rays and sharks-  we even spotted a dugong.

Never did get my permit-  oh well...

jzumi

Ulua on fly!  Way to go!

foakes

Lots of skill involved in that set up and operation --

Thanks!

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Shark Hunter

Congrats on that Awesome Fish! :o
Life is Good!

Steve-O

WOW! very nice GT!

alantani

yeah, it's getting to be summertime down under!  very nice!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mizmo67

Must have been fun on that setup! Nice.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

hurt locker

Sweet  !!!!!!   Congratulations !!!!!!!!!

Alto Mare

Very nice Dave, congratulations!
Nice pic!...good enough for photo of the month.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cone

Wow! 40 kg and on a fly! My hat is off to you sir! Well done!
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

conchydong

Fantastic, all of the Jack family are super strong fish. Nice catch.