Jvariance conversion...

Started by Board4life, April 01, 2011, 06:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limakoko

Aloha everyone.  I've been lurking on this site for quite some time, trying to digest the immense amount of information available.  Now I've got a few questions I could use some help with, hopefully this is the relevant thread to post them.

About a year ago I purchased two used Penn 113 HLW's.  With the help of Alan's tutorial (Thanks, Alan), I opened them up check the internals and decided to convert both of them to the Jvariance standard kit.  I purchased the aluminum spools and some extra penn parts from Scott's B&T.  I put SS 4:1 gears in one of the reels and plan on doing the other as well (even though it looks like I'll have to pay a much higher price).  Everything is working fine on both of the reels, they haven't been fished much, but they will be seeing a lot more action this summer.  I need some clarification/information on the following.

1.  Adjusting the bearing.  I don't want to damage my bearings and I've read/heard different opinions on how to set it.  Locally some guys have said you rig up your pole, tie the weight you intent to cast on the line and adjust the bearing screw so that the weight gently falls when you put the reel in free-spool.  Contrarily, I've read that this bearing is not a cast control bearing and it will get damaged using it as such.  Which is it?  I know that setting the screw too loosely almost always results in a birdsnest mess.

2.  When I last took the reels apart for cleaning, CharkBait was out of stock for the drags.  What drags do you recommend and what specifically do I need to order?

3.  I am going to order two of Alan's SS sleeves, but does anyone have info on SS dogs?

4.  Lastly, I want to upgrade the handles.  I know Alan has some, but does anyone have experience with these handles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUMBO-T-Bar-Handle-with-SILVER-Knob-for-PENN-4-0-113H-113HL-113HLW-Reels-/220983294950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3373a17be6

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you guys can give, I appreciate all the information here, this site has helped me out a lot.

john2244

I am a big fan of T-Bar handles made by Tiburon.  I have them on many of my Progear and Big Penn reels.
John

alantani

you can use the bearings as a cast control mechanism, but only to a point.  do what you have to do.  if you crunch them, then can always be replaced.

use ht-100's inside the main gear, but get a carbontex drag to go underneath the main gear.  since you've got dawn on the line, you may as well order the entire set from her. 

i have some dogs and a bunch of gear sleeves. 

you can get the handles from http://smoothdrag.com/handles.html. they are very nice. 

send a pm for any parts that you want. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Lois at 5Oceans7Seas has 2 113H SS gear sleeves and 2 SS dogs if you want to purchase them locally.  I believe they also have carbontex washers as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

limakoko

Thanks, for the info Alan, Bryan and John.  I'll have to make my way down to 507S.  If they don't have something, Alan, I'll send you a PM. Aloha.   

suitekids

Quote from: Board4life on June 04, 2011, 06:06:21 PM
Rubber cap... great idea. Was wondering about that. If it would damage the finish or not.

Heat shrink tubing works well too, and it's super tight, just my 2 centavos