Jvariance conversion...

Started by Board4life, April 01, 2011, 06:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Board4life

I am in the process of doing the narrow Jvariance conversion on my Penn 113h and have a couple questions for anyone who has done them before. (actually same question for two different parts.)

Is it normal for the clicker button and the eccentric lever to feel loose and kinda out of place? The clicker actually raises up on one side when I engage it and is slightly scratching the sideplate finish. And the eccentric lever is fine when in gear but appears very loose when out of gear. Are there some easy fixes for this or is it just the way the Jvariance side plates work?

Thanks

Alto Mare

I have done a few and never had that problem. Did you install the teflon washers that came with the kit to protect the plates on the clicker and the eccentric lever? In case you didn't the clicker washer might give you a tough time, in most cases you will need to file it down a bit, unless you can get a thinner one. I use a flat file and it works great, if you don't have a file  a sheet of sand paper will do. Any more questions, just ask. Sal :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

thanks for the reminder.   i just went to mcmaster.com and ordered sheets of teflon in 5, 10, 15 and 20 thousanths thicknesses.  now i just need to find a punch set.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

Hey Alan, Let me know what sizes you need and I will punch them out for you, gratis.  Just toss the teflon sheet in the mail.  I have most OD & ID Dimensions..  Unless you need thousands of them..then we might need to barter.  ;D ;D ;D
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on April 05, 2011, 11:55:14 PM
thanks for the reminder.   i just went to mcmaster.com and ordered sheets of teflon in 5, 10, 15 and 20 thousanths thicknesses.  now i just need to find a punch set.

What will you be doing with teflon Alan? I already know that you don't like teflon drags, will you be using them to protect parts?

ReelSpeed, will you be my friend?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

every once in a while i look at a part, perhaps a freespool lever or a gear sleeve, and see way too much slop.  then i start thinking that it would be really nice to have a tefon washer to take up the extra space.  this one application is a perfect case in point.  if we had this jvariance in hand, a few sheets of teflon, and an assortment of punches, we could take a minute to cut a shim washer and take out all the slop.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Board4life

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 01, 2011, 07:33:03 PM
I have done a few and never had that problem. Did you install the teflon washers that came with the kit to protect the plates on the clicker and the eccentric lever? In case you didn't the clicker washer might give you a tough time, in most cases you will need to file it down a bit, unless you can get a thinner one. I use a flat file and it works great, if you don't have a file  a sheet of sand paper will do. Any more questions, just ask. Sal :)

Right on. It was the teflon washers. I was doing an open box conversion for a friend and he didn't include the washers.

Now for another question... I have the Newell gears I am puting in as well (along with the yolk). Is it normal for them to be a little noisy? They just don't seem to be as smooth or quiet as the stock pen gears.

Alto Mare

Yes, it is normal for the newell gears to be noisy. Any more questions, just ask. Sal

Board4life

Ok... Everything is working great. Spool not rubbing. Drag is very smooth. Handle spins with ease. I guess I just have to get use to the extra noise factor.

Thanks for the info.

Alto Mare

Not a problem, eventually you will get used to the noise and feel of it, I know the fishies won't mind ;D. How about going all the way and install a stainless steel gear sleeve on that tank?

Board4life

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 01, 2011, 10:43:57 PM
Not a problem, eventually you will get used to the noise and feel of it, I know the fishies won't mind ;D. How about going all the way and install a stainless steel gear sleeve on that tank?

Is the stock gear sleeve that weak? I know Mr. Tani sugests changing them out but What are the chances the originals would round out? Oh why try to fight it... I'll end up doing it sooner than later.

Alto Mare

The answer is in the type of fishing that you do. That custom reel can be pushed to it's limit, the only weak part is the tip of the gear sleeve. If you fish it under 15 lb., I wouldn't worry anbout it. I have the stainless steel gear sleeve and a nice power handle  in all of mine. Take care, Sal

Roger

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 01, 2011, 10:43:57 PM

Now, you have to post some pics........ ;)
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Board4life

Pics? I just happen to have some.

Started with a new Penn 113h. Got it on sale for 75$ What a bargain. Jvariance narrow conversion kit came in the box on the right.

Contentes of the boxes. With the Newell gears and steal yolk. I also have the carbontex drag washers as well but forgot to include them in the pic.

Now the fun begins... I figured since Alan has everything all lined up in his tutorials, I might as well follow along. I think it worked too. First time I did a project and didn't have extra parts.

Unused parts on the left... Finished product on the right. The silver one is the one I did for myself. Notice I didn't have the Newell gears in yet. I was worried about the sound and different feel.

I was going to get one of Alan's handles but went with the bling factor instead. I think my friend will end up getting one of Alan's though.

The End