Four Birds of a Feather

Started by ChileRelleno, November 12, 2016, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Started four birds brining yesterday about 2:00PM, pulled them out this afternoon about 1:30PM, spatchcocked, rubbed and fired up the CCSV24.
Full water tray over Apple & Cherry and maintaining 250'-275'.
Once I get these up to an internal temp of 160',  I'll move them on to the grill to crisp the skin.

More to come...
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

foakes

If I was ever on a Wagon Train heading West -- I would want Chile on Board -- he can do anything, plus being an expert chef!

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ChileRelleno

Rub
.5 C Smoked Paprika
1.5 C McCormick Montreal Chicken seasoning

Smoked at 250'-275' till an internal temp of 160', then flipped the birds (LOL) and turned the temp up to 300'+ to try and crisp the skin.
I was going to use my Char-Broil grill but decided to see if the smoker could do it.
Skin wasn't crispy, a bit chewy, but was still mighty tasty.

Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Alto Mare

Good stuff John, thanks for sharing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

ChileRelleno

Quote from: foakes on November 12, 2016, 09:15:31 PM
If I was ever on a Wagon Train heading West -- I would want Chile on Board -- he can do anything, plus being an expert chef!

Thanks,

Fred
I lay no claim to excellence at anything, but I'm pretty good at a number of things.
Expert chef is one I'd be proud to lay claim to, but nowhere near that level, just know my way around a kitchen, inside or outside.

Thanks for the compliments.
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 13, 2016, 01:38:47 AM
Good stuff John, thanks for sharing.
My pleasure to spam this sub-forum on a regular basis.
Quote from: David Hall on November 13, 2016, 01:46:37 AM
Yummy looking Chilli.
Oh yeah.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:

bluefish69

John

The cooking show did a segment on Spatchcock Chicken about 2-3 weeks ago. Theirs looked Good but yours looks better.

I did Rice Pudding today with NO EGGS for the Custard

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 13, 2016, 02:03:44 AM
John

The cooking show did a segment on Spatchcock Chicken about 2-3 weeks ago. Theirs looked Good but yours looks better.

I did Rice Pudding today with NO EGGS for the Custard

Mike
Mmmmmm...  Rice pudding is good for the soul.
Thanks, my yard bird has always been pretty good, they better be on their A game to beat me out.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:

bluefish69

I forgot to say the cooking show was the Chew

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

thorhammer

John, I missed this...I'm your huckleberry, wth is a spatchcock?  Is that only for a rooster? Or would that then be a spatch hen????  So many questions :)

I love that Montreal.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: thorhammer on November 15, 2016, 01:23:46 AM
wth is a spatchcock?  Is that only for a rooster? Or would that then be a spatch hen????  So many questions :)

Spatchcock is just another term for Butterfly.
Cut the spine out of the bird, cut the wishbone and lay it our flat to cook.
It cooks faster, more evenly and every bit of skin can get browned and crisped.

Alex did the same, but cut through the breastbone.
See my pics for how they're laid out.
Ragnar Benson:

thorhammer

got it. that's what I did for the bird I had in the shop the other day; you just couldn't tell by the pic. Now I have the correct terminology! thanks!

John