Accurate ATD 50 Shaft

Started by HardDrive, November 14, 2016, 10:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HardDrive

Hi Guys,

I've had this recurring problem since I got the reel and I've sent it in for service a few years back and the problem is still there. Worse part was they stripped some a screw and then just sent me the reel with the screw wedged in. And the first time I used the reel on my 16 day trip, the preset arm support just fell off. I had that fixed by a friend who just tapping a hole to fit a larger screw.

Doing my annual maintenance myself for my 16 day trip on my Accurate ATD 50 and the shaft gets stuck every now and then going in and out of gear reducing free spool. For example you put into gear and then into free spool, the drags don't totally disengage and I have to put back into gear and out to get free spool. I've tried to oil the shaft and also thinking of just putting cal grease on there.

My question is do I just take a dremel and grind down the shaft or do I just grind down the inside of the drag plate and the pinion gear where it seems to be getting stuck? Do I get stronger springs?

Thanks,

Harddrive

Bryan Young

I don't know if I would do something that drastic.  I may just take 400 grit or higher sandpaper and wet sand the shaft until the drag plates glide smoothly on the shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

HardDrive

Thanks for the reply.

I know it needs to be pretty tight for the alignment of the free spool, but it shouldn't be so tight the shaft can mode side to side on a lever drag.

Harddrive

HardDrive

Ok fixed, thanks for the tip on the sand paper that worked.  I figured out where the shaft was rubbing and used sandpaper to knock it down some and now it goes in and out of gear like it's suppose to.  :)

Bryan Young

I love it when we can get our reels working again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D