Ok...Need some advise

Started by Bill B, November 14, 2016, 05:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

So here is the story, maybe log winded but details are needed....Yesterday hooked two King Salmon and lost both the same way, as the fish took the initial run pulling about 5 lbs drag, all seemed to be in order, but as the fish finished the run and turned towards the boat, came unhooked.....Im using a 8' Bass Pro Shops downrigger rod to jig a 2 oz Silvertron Slammer jig, the hook was replaced with an Owner Treble and sharpened before fishing.  The reel is a TICA round levelwind baitcaster with 20 lb mono. 

When the fish hit, I pulled hard to set the hook, and the fish ran in a typical mouth hook fashion, my experience is when foul hooked they start jumping immediately and after a few jumps make a run.

So my theory is the fishes teeth, are imbedding in the soft finish of the jig (the jigs have a rather thick paint and clear coat) and not letting the hooks slide into the fishes mouth.....so my question what can I do to make the next hookup successful?  Would a stiffer rod to impart a harder hook set and braid to reduce line stretch help or is this just fishing and enjoy the rush of the fishes run.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

I learned the hard way.  Keep your rod at about a 45 degree angle and do not stop reeling.  Fishing with barbless hooks is challenging.  You must keep the pressure on.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Yep me too.  Right before Dominick

humboldtdan

Go with a single hook.  Trebles do not hook as well as you think and they torque against each other during head shakes and direction changes.  I big single in the corner of the jaw will not come out unless severe slack in the line.

Keta

Downrigger rods have a slower action than you need, go to a medium fast or fast blank.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Thanks for the quick replies....Lee I agree the rod is slow.....I will rectify that with a faster rod...and will try swapping the trebles for singles per Dan.....and improve my technique as Dominick stated.....A fish lost is knowledge gained.....Hey at least Im getting out to fish  :D 

mo65

Quote from: TARFU on November 14, 2016, 06:30:42 PM
Hey at least Im getting out to fish  :D 

A good point indeed...and now armed with a few new tricks you'll prolly land that lunker. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Bill, isa original hook in that jig a single, molded into the weighted head( classic style )? Not familiar with a "silverton slammer".
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

G....think of a really small yellowtail iron that weighs 2 oz.....P-Line makes a jig similiar to the Silvertron jig.....I can post a picture later when I get home....but they resemble the jigs Steve-O makes....

Rancanfish

With super sharp hooks I find I don't need to set the hook hard.  It tends to rip a larger hole, which then lets the hook fall /shake out if I momentarily allow slack.   I didn't realize until I caught the last one.  The hook fell out of the tear when he hit the deck.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Steve-O

Something like this?

Bill B

Thats close....same concept, the Silvertron has a little different shape, I will post tonight

David Hall

For salmon I like a longer steelhead type rod with lots of slow bend, they're soft mouthed and 5lbs drag is a bit high.  I use around 3lbs and let em run. Keeping constant tension is the key, slack line for a fraction of a second and they slip the hook.  You want to keep em working and in the water until they're exhausted and roll onto their side.  You can't bring them to net before that.  I haven't lost one in years.  Used to lose them all the time trying to get them into the net to soon. 

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on November 14, 2016, 10:46:08 PM
For salmon I like a longer steelhead type rod with lots of slow bend, they're soft mouthed and 5lbs drag is a bit high.  I use around 3lbs and let em run. Keeping constant tension is the key, slack line for a fraction of a second and they slip the hook.  You want to keep em working and in the water until they're exhausted and roll onto their side.  You can't bring them to net before that.  I haven't lost one in years.  Used to lose them all the time trying to get them into the net to soon. 

Wise advice.

Many fish (including alot of other species) are lost when putting too much pressure on them in an attempt to get them to net/gaff quickly.  Use the equiptmemt to your advantage, when playing fish in open water.  Slow, steady, smooth (and also minimize mistakes boatside) wins the race.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.