The Golden Age of Spinning Reels -- 60's, 70's, 80's -- Tough Little Microlights

Started by foakes, November 14, 2016, 06:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

As I was going through and rebuilding some Microlight Spinning Reels -- Mitchells, DAM Quicks, Daiwas, Shimanos, Alcedos, and others -- I realized how much I appreciate these tough little reels.

Compared to most small spinners manufactured over the last couple of decades -- these are well built, made with good materials, and capable little reels for Trout, Bass, Catfish, Crappie, Panfish, and other freshwater species.

The typical new reel is inexpensive, made with plastics, zinc, and aluminum -- and the screws either strip out the holes in the graphite body -- or the screw heads are so soft, they just distort.  Toss away reels.

Compare that to a Mitchell 308, Penn 420SS, DAM Quick 265, 110, 110N, 1000, Daiwa Mini-Mite, 500C, 700C, 1000C, Shimano M1X, AX, Cardinal 3, or Alcedo Microns. 

These have metal bodies, solid oversized bearings, crisp bail snaps, overbuilt gearing in case a large fish is hooked, good components throughout -- and the ability to service and restore to original after decades of service.

Pair any of these with a little 5' or 5' 6" rod such as a Fenwick, Wright Magill, Shimano, Ugly Stik, Lamiglas, or similar -- and you have a very capable combo.

They balance perfectly at the point just ahead of the reel mount.

A fortune does not need to be spent on these -- and many of us have these just laying around in the garage.

Service them, put the combos together -- and enjoy either fishing them with 4 pound test -- or just enjoying the quality of the "Golden Age of Spinners".

Many of these reels -- if built to these standards today -- would cost us $150 to $250.  These are good values and bargains for us to restore.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

I love them. I used to use them with 8 pound mono to catch smelt, perch and the ocasional bass or croaker off the docks in Oceanside, Ca. The 300 Mitchell was the standard but the little reels are so much fun. Easy to heft when moving around with a couple feather jigs and worms.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

I saved up and bought a Mitchell 400 in '66.. think it was about $18 or 2 months paper route delivering the LA Herald Examiner, a Hearst paper, on my Schwinn.

There were dirt roads, chicken farms and mean dogs in LA county back then.

Never did fish the LA River.

Caught bunches of trout in the Kern River and Shasta river.  Still fishing that 400.

Thanks Fred.

foakes

The 400 is the same size and body as the 300.

Differences are that the 400 is dark blue, high speed 5:1, longer crank for more torque, and also has (2) roller bearings -- one at the pinion, and one at the main gear shaft where the handle attaches.

410 is also like a 400,

And the fairly rare black 300C -- while being a normal 3:1 gear -- has roller bearings also.

These bearings should always be oiled -- never greased.

The little 308/408 are about half the size of the 300/400 -- and fit in the palm of a hand.

I too, threw newspapers every day for 3 years -- good experience for a kid as to responsibility, timeliness, courtesy -- plus an appreciation of working for things we needed or wanted.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

An old favorite pastime around here is to wade the creeks with an ultralight combo and a few jigs...no telling what you'll catch...just genuine good fun. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

These are what i cut my teeth on. Its all we had when growing up. They are still being used and abused today.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

I love the venerable little spinners, too! Among others, I've got a cherry NIB Mitchell Garcia 400... beautiful. And I'd really like to score a flawless Penn 716/714 greenie... but those can command exorbitant prices.   :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D