Reel seat size for an Okuma Makaira 16 size reel

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, February 03, 2017, 09:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

I'm thinking about building me (yet) another rod. In this case it would be paired with a (yet to purchase) okuma makaira 16 size reel.

Could someone who has a size 16 makaira tell me what the distance between the rod clamp screws is?

I'm thinking about using a Pac Bay Heavy Duty aluminium reel seat like the AH 24 M which has an outer diameter of 29,7mm.

Should I get a size 26? Should I go smaller like the 22 or is the 24 size just fine

I noted that in the latest catalog I can only find the CL24M wich has slightly less diameter with 26,7mm /1,17".  I can still purchase the AH version local and it looks sturdier/stronger wich I would prefer in this case. The CL version looks a little like it is a seat which is more designed for spinners.

handi2

I can measure that for you but it would be tomorrow.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reinaard van der Vossen

Keith,

That would be perfect.

I'm not in a hurry anyway. I'm still in the design phase selecting possible components and thinking the blank length etc. So it will be a while before I start purchasing rodstuff and building.

As I want to cut the blank significantly, make a spiral wrap with bumper guides etc, there will be some time before I start.