Photos as wallace promised

Started by kbad, April 02, 2011, 06:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbad

Hi guys as Wallace has stated these are photos and measurements taken from the drag washer from a Tyrnos 50 2 speed LRS difficult to see in the photo but the material is scuffed and lifting on a section as well the material had been flaking(?) off and had some very small thread like pieces attached to the drag plate.
This reel has seen zero use.
Overall diameter 80.50 mm
Inside hole diameter 39.81mm
Width of washer 20.29
Thickness 1.30 mm
Photos
Drag Washer
Backing plate washer is stuck to
Spool after DW removal
Before removal
Difficult to make out but slight scuffing on R side

Regards Karl

alantani

thanks for the photos.  these washes look fine so far.  the ones we've been concerned about are the ones with whole chunks flaking off. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

that gold washer is the orginal and the fiber was falling off the other side. the one in the spool is the replacement

kbad

While i think the original washer was ok the material was not as closely woven or as stable(?) as the carbontex material the bearing you can see in the photo was an open bearing and while the drag washer had a reasonable looking seal on the shaft there was no grease in the bearing. To be honest i like the look of the reel i can see how shimano is able to offer it at the price the reel frame is one piece aluminum and either end is graphite with a ali shield placed over it.
While some stores here in oz were offering it at 590 there were others substantially lower. The proof will be in the use and that big fish. ;)
By the way i am glad i found this site and the help Wallace gave me it has given me the confidence to pull all my reels apart and replace the dragwashers and give them grease where they need it.
Cheers