Odd Z series reel

Started by wailua boy, November 18, 2016, 09:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

I hope you guys can help and this questioned hasn't been asked.  I recently aquired a few Z's one of which has the line capacity of 8lb at 200, 10lb at 180 and 12lb at 150. Its missing the badge on side and has an older style bullet handle. I cant seem to find a match. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S this site is awesome

Tightlines667

Quote from: wailua boy on November 18, 2016, 09:54:11 PM
I hope you guys can help and this questioned hasn't been asked.  I recently aquired a few Z's one of which has the line capacity of 8lb at 200, 10lb at 180 and 12lb at 150. Its missing the badge on side and has an older style bullet handle. I cant seem to find a match. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S this site is awesome

Is the spool diameter 1 7/8" or 2"?

*see attached manual
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

wailua boy

As long I'm measuring correctly it appears to be 1 7/8in. Thanks for your reply

Shark Hunter

Let us see the rest of the reel in question.
I think it is a 712.
Life is Good!

wailua boy

Here's few more pics.

wailua boy

And the specs

Tightlines667

It appears to be a 712Z series. However, I think the spool may be incorrect for this reel (an SS?). These spools are interchangeable and are commonly mismatched.
Hope springs eternal

wailua boy

That was my initial thought but wouldn't the capacity come out to 10lb at 200yd? This reel is listed as 8lb at 200yd

Tightlines667

Hmmm...

I see what you mean.  I guess the next step would be to check for part numbers:  inside the housing body; underneath the gears, it should be stamped there on most models. If not, check top or bottom of the rotor cup, or the inside of the housing cover
Hope springs eternal

wailua boy

Let me check....Inside rotor cup is stamped 27-712. Do they ever get misprinted?

Tightlines667

This suggests a 712.  The part number inside the side plate differs between models.  Check it and you should have your answer.  The main gear part numbers also differ.  I am actually thinking early 2nd style 712.
Hope springs eternal

wailua boy

Still seems odd that the line specs dont match the 712/3Z or any other Z series I've been able to find. I guess not a big deal, since I have no plans to sell it but out of curiosity...I do appreciate the input

Tightlines667

Not my specific area of expertise, but given Penn's history, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this spool and it's line capacity are correct for a short period of time.  I couldn't find it in the catalogs and manuals I have access to, but there are many I don't have.  If you looked at them year-by-year for the early second style you may find your answer.
Hope springs eternal

wailua boy

Shark Hunter

That reel looks legit to me. 712z for sure.
The odd numbered z's are for South Paws.
Life is Good!