"Thanks Dawn"

Started by Roger, April 02, 2011, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

The mail lady just dropped off the washers and the bearings......
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Dawn

Good deal, you are welcome.

That got there pretty fast.

Dawn

franky

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Dawn as well.  :)

I just got the smoothies and bearings in the mail.  Excellent service!  Fast speedy delivery!  Excellent product!  AAAA+++++ rating for Smooooooth Drags.

Thank you Dawn.

Frank

Dawn

Dawn

Fishermans Paradise

Dawn is A+++ for service, period.  Both Handle upgrades came today, and I ordered them Monday afternoon, nice and speedy with top shelf quality !  Awesome as always Dawn !

Dominick

Dawn I made a boo boo.  I did not follow instructions to use blue Loctite on the screw for the aluminum handles.  I thought I could make them tight enough without Loctite.  Well there we were out in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Cabo San Lucas and my friend Joe hooks into a Tuna with my Penn 30.  I hear him yelling for help and i got real excited because I thought he had a fish on too big to handle.  It turns out he was yelling for help because the handle was unscrewing.  It turned out to be very funny, there I was with a phillips head screwdriver turning the screw tight.  He would give the reel a few turns and stop and I had to tighten it again.  This was repeated about 5 times before we got the fish to the boat.  It was pretty funny.  One of the reasons I fish with my friend Joe is that he and I will laugh at most anything.  Well we put the rig aside and did not use it for the rest of the day.  That evening I tried to find Loctite in Los Cabos to no avail.  I found a beauty supply store and purchased some clear nail polish.  Put the nail polish on the screw and guess what?, it did not work.  The screw came loose just from the boat vibration even with the nail polish.  The strange thing is the handles on two other reels did not come loose.  After returning home, I purchased some Permatex blue thread block and redid all the reels with the thread block.  The store did not have Loctite, but I trust that the Permatex will work the same way.  I am happy with the handles.  I also have one of the Kolekar handles on my Penn 114 hlw and caught a Striped Marlin on it.  The large handles, both yours and Kolekars feel good when reeling.  This post is in no way a criticism of Dawn's handles, it's about my stupidity.  The handles are great if you follow instructions.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Dom, Dom, Dom, Dum, Dom, Dom, Dom, Dom  ;D ;D ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

i did the same thing!no loctite,came loose.picked up 2nd reel with no loctite same thing again.super glued before the next trip,everything worked fine.dawn told me also.ah well,alls well that ends well.3 holes right there. ::)

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 17, 2011, 05:08:58 AM
Dom, Dom, Dom, Dum, Dom, Dom, Dom, Dom  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah yeah Yeah, I know.  But we did have a great laugh and sashimi ;D.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dawn

Well I'm glad you got it worked out and you didn't lose any fish or handle parts!   ;D

Dawn
Dawn

wallacewt

i put ss spring washers on the handles and thought they would hold.worked fine at home when i tested them.1st one came loose with 12lb cuttlefish on .hand lined him in and weighed.2nd reel was a small cod about 5lb.wasnt very much pressure to make them come loose.lesson learnt!

Dominick

Dawn:  Do you think the Permatex Blue Thread Blocker will work?  Dominick

Dominick

anybody??? How do these thread blockers like Loctite and Permatex work??  Anyone have an explanation?  Dominick

Bryan Young

It all depends on the type of thread locker you purchase. 

Locktite has 3 different types the last time I checked when I was researching for my company (that was probably 10 years ago).  2 of them were activated by the disimilar metals, similar to that which causes corrosion.  One was intended for permanent and the other temporary.  These could be put on after the screw was in.  It would wick into the threads.  One had a breaking strength of 30# and the other was 300# or release with heat.

The other locktite was the type you put on then screw in.  It is made of a self hardening elastomer.

Not sure about the others. Basically, they would fill in all of the gaps so that the screw would not have any wiggle room, and therefore, would not work it's way loose.  That's the theory behind it, plus bonding to the metals.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

i used dynagrip.(permanent threadlocker)works fine.