SALTIGA LD 30 2 SPEED FREE SPOOL

Started by psira, November 23, 2016, 09:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psira

Hi Alan and all.
First ever post with a problem I can't solve. With Alan's super tutorials I have managed to do a lot of servicing on my own reels. But in a previous thread Alan warned that stripping down this reel and putting it back again can be problematic. He was right! I have taken it apart several times now but the current problem persists. After the usual greasing, drag lubrication and reassembly the free spool was great. But when I adjusted for strike drag and then went back to free spool, there wasn't any! Turning the spool by hand also turned the handle. But here's the strange thing. Pushing the lever just a tad forward and then back, there was a click felt and I had free spool again. This was repeated several times each time the reel failing to go into free spool on lever return unless I jigged it forwards a bit, then back to feel that click. I have altered the Bellevilles from ()() to (()) and even stiffer at ())) . This changed the nature of the drag but the free spool problem remained. Then I stretched the drag spring from 7.5 mm to 9.7mm but again no result as to the free spool. The other thing is that even before altering the drag spring or the Bellevilles it seems that I needed to screw down the preset knob further than on other reels before I got any definitive effect for a reasonable strike drag. I have owned the reel for a couple of years but it has been used only 5 or six times as I had been favouring the similar Shimano Talica 8 2 speed. Sorry for the long post but I hope you can help with some suggestions.

Wolli

Exactly the same troubles we had with Maxel Sea Lion OSL 06 reels three years ago in Germany.
The springs too week and the drag plate was not pushed back.
Alternative tested the stronger springs from a JM reel which solved the problem.
The European General Importer informed Maxel accordingly and they send a batch of new springs.

Recommend to inform Daiwa and ask for a stronger spring.

Good Luck

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

johndtuttle

Also be sure that you have *minimal* grease on the drag. We are generous when we grease star drags, but with lever drag reels too much grease will stick the drag plate on the washer and the spring can't overcome it. Also it squirts grease on the frame/spool edge and that hurts free spool too.

psira

Insert Quote

Exactly the same troubles we had with Maxel Sea Lion OSL 06 reels three years ago in Germany.
The springs too week and the drag plate was not pushed back.
Alternative tested the stronger springs from a JM reel which solved the problem.
The European General Importer informed Maxel accordingly and they send a batch of new springs.

Recommend to inform Daiwa and ask for a stronger spring.

Good Luck
Thanks Wolli. As mentioned above I extended the spring from 7.5mm to 9.7mm. Today I extended it a further 2mm but still with no benefit. I will need to rethink it all and go over each part thoroughly.

psira

Insert Quote

Also be sure that you have *minimal* grease on the drag. We are generous when we grease star drags, but with lever drag reels too much grease will stick the drag plate on the washer and the spring can't overcome it. Also it squirts grease on the frame/spool edge and that hurts free spool too.

Thanks for your reply John
I agree. And Alan himself was very specific in his tutorial about wiping the carbontex washers so that they look the same as if there
r was NO grease.

Bobfish

To Wolli
Do you happen to know which JM model reel was used to replace the spool spring in the Saltiga ld 30 2SPEED.