Help With Old Penn Ball Bearing

Started by nathanbrand, April 04, 2011, 02:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomolalla

I've been digging into a couple used 650's since I saw your excellent breakdown post and running into the same questions about greasing the main bearing.  I was able to fish hook off the side bearings but the main one had me baffled until I read this post.  I'm not completely unbaffled yet and have a couple questions:  

1.  I sprayed some wd 40 into the closed main bearing to attempt to clean it without taking it apart.  a fair amount of rust was coming out although the bearings still turned fairly smoothly.  Are these bearings toast or just need a good cleaning?

2.  can I use the bearing packer (just got one) and pack this bearing without removing the plastic shield?

3.  You mention pulling the plastic shield off then replacing it or removing the metal one and leaving that one off.  Which way do you think is the best?

4.  What do you think about mixing some corrosion x and grease together to pack the bearings to make a slippery grease?  

Sorry to make you relive the old post but I appreciate your dedication and excellent descriptions.

Thanks, Tom

Bryan Young

Quote from: tomolalla on March 13, 2012, 04:41:24 AM
I've been digging into a couple used 650's since I saw your excellent breakdown post and running into the same questions about greasing the main bearing.  I was able to fish hook off the side bearings but the main one had me baffled until I read this post.  I'm not completely unbaffled yet and have a couple questions:  

1.  I sprayed some wd 40 into the closed main bearing to attempt to clean it without taking it apart.  a fair amount of rust was coming out although the bearings still turned fairly smoothly.  Are these bearings toast or just need a good cleaning?

2.  can I use the bearing packer (just got one) and pack this bearing without removing the plastic shield?

3.  You mention pulling the plastic shield off then replacing it or removing the metal one and leaving that one off.  Which way do you think is the best?

4.  What do you think about mixing some corrosion x and grease together to pack the bearings to make a slippery grease?  

Sorry to make you relive the old post but I appreciate your dedication and excellent descriptions.

Thanks, Tom
Hi Tom,

1.  If the bearing is smooth, I'd continue to use it.  If sightest hit of roughness, replace.

2.  Yes, you can use the bearing packer without removing the plastic sheild.  If the shield looks rubberish, then I would remove one side then pack and replace the shield.  It's much more effective.  Metals sheilds, you can leave on and pack away.

3.  See Item 2.

4.  Now I use Yamaha grease, but before I was using Evinrude Triple Guard.  That stuff is thick and very sticky, so I used to mix 1 fl. oz per pound of triple guard to thin.  Hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

tomolalla

Hi Bryan,

Thanks, that helps a lot. 

The plastic shield is still pretty firm (not rubberish) so I'll pack it in place.  Although since I had some rust in the bearings (yet rolling smooth) do you think i should give it a thorough cleaning by taking the shield off first?  It sounds like carb cleaner is the way to go but I shot some WD 40 through it until the rust stopped coming out.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but others have mentioned just using oil on the bearings.  If I do that do you just drip it into the bearing with shields on, remove them first or force oil into the bearings with the packer with the shields on?

Later,

Tom