Carnauba wax on reel spools-fail

Started by Navidad Nutcase, November 26, 2016, 07:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

I remember various places that mentioned using Carnauba Wax to prevent or protect a reel spool from saltwater corrosion. I also remember someone saying you have to buff it on, you can't apply by hand. Well I can attest to the last sentence anyway. I tried rubbing the block of wax on the spool of my penn 80Tw. It was like rubbing the spool with a block of wood. So I heated the wax in a tin can on the top of my wood heater, painted it onto the spool with a hair bristled paintbrush (of course I tried the nylon/plastic bristle brush - and you know what happened). Well The wax dried instantly , then flaked off like pieces of eggshell from a boiled egg. I had the spool off the reel, all bearings out, so I heated the spool to about 130* fahrenheit, and the wax  a bit above it's melting temperature (180*f.). Now THAT looked better. All was well until the spool cooled down to room temperature. This time It peeled like a very stubborn hard boiled egg - but peel off it did. The only place it held was a small spot where the saltwater had eaten thru the anodized finish.

My conclusion: You can't apply the wax by hand You have to buff it on..... Greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

PacRat

Carnuba wax is like what you use on your car. If you're melting it to apply it you're not using the right type.
Good luck

cbar45

If you are using the pure (solid) form of carnauba, it helps to have a means of turning the spool at moderate rpm as the wax is applied. This could be a line-winder, lathe, modified drill press, etc. Otherwise, it will have to be buffed on.

Shark Hunter

Sorry for your troubles, but a paste form or spray car wax is in order here.
It really does protect the spool from corrosion.
Life is Good!

Navidad Nutcase

It is pure wax and I have a lathe. I also wasn't really complaining, just passing on info. Education is only education if you share it.
I will use my the lathe and/or the buffer. Maybe even cut the wax with beeswax like the auto detailers do.(more education ? )
Thanks for the replys..
greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Tiddlerbasher

I use a Dremel or buffing wheel (on a grinder). Hold the carnauba wax stick against the buffing wheel to 'load' the wheel (you only need a small amount). Then hold the spool to the wheel. Job done.

Tightlines667

I use my line spooling machine.  I ran into the same problem listed above the first time I tried using the solid block of pure canuba.  I tried ironing it on with a monocoat iron, and heating the spool a little bit with my heat gun.  Although the later method worked best, I ended up just buying some canuba autowax and found it much easier yo apply.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

Hi Greg,

You were close you don't need to put on too much. Like applying wax on your car. Only a thin layer is al you need then repeat to build the layers of wax. Try this. When the wax is soft from heating it up. Dip a small piece of terry cloth towel in the wax. The warmth of your hand should soften the wax it a bit as well. Then apply the wax to the spool by rubbing the spool so you can see a thin layer of wax on the spool(looks like a thin layer of oil).  Then let dry and wipe off the dry wax with a clean terry cloth towel.  Then repeat. Each time you repeat this processes, you will use less and less wax because you are just adding microns of wax on the surface.

I hope this helps.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Navidad Nutcase

well THAT was a lot of work ! One spool done, 5 to go. I went with Tiddlerbashers's  buffing technique. Next spool I'll give Bryan's method and Shark hunter's a try,- but not today. Leave for Barra de Navidad to "play in the water" for 2 weeks.
The hardened wax is still holding in the spot that was corroded, so maybe that will be a  new discovery (for me), The hole is 3/4 way down the side of the spool (I'm wagering that's how far the rinse water got to last time out ) the hole's about the size of a pencil's diameter and just took the anodizing off, it's not deep. It will be interesting to see if the wax stays in that Much more porous surface.
Thanx again to everybody for the input...
greg

handi2

I have used my sons surf wax on the spools of my electric deep drop reels filled with braid.

When spooling I waxed the spool and then 100 feet or so of the line. This "surf wax" is very sticky. It was probably sex wax..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Quote from: handi2 on November 26, 2016, 10:00:12 PM
I have used my sons surf wax on the spools of my electric deep drop reels filled with braid.

When spooling I waxed the spool and then 100 feet or so of the line. This "surf wax" is very sticky. It was probably sex wax..!!

Mr. Zog's "sex wax". I've been using that since '76 on surfboards, but not on reels but it is good stuff.
Different flavors too.

Shark Hunter

Use the Eagle One Liquid Carnauba in a spray bottle.
I use it to wax my Truck as well. Good Stuff.
Same Maker as Nevr Dull.
Life is Good!

oc1

Waxing the line near the bottom of the spool sounds like a good idea too.  I recently bought some bars of bees wax for spools and there was a bar of Sex Wax here all along.

-steve

Swami805

Sex wax comes in different hardnesses for different water temperature. I would think the warm tropical water wax would be best for a spool
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

I am thinking of getting some to fill the screw holes.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D