sealine 900 and okuma salina 40

Started by mokomoa, April 04, 2011, 09:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokomoa

Is there a drag upgrade for the daiwa 900? I was thinking maybe the ht100 fibre drags or something.. The ones in there now appear to be made of cork or wood??
Also i have a okuma sa 40 spin reel i use for softbaiting, is there a tutorial or any info for these?
Its a good little reel that i would like to look after if possible

Norcal Pescador

Check out the link. Smoothdrag makes carbon fiber washers for the 900.  http://www.smoothdrag.com/guide.html

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

Hmm. Are you sure? I thought Smooth Drag only made Smoothies for the 900. If you look a the Retail Price list, the Daiwa 900 is not shown under the Carbontex list.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: akfish on April 04, 2011, 02:51:32 PM
Hmm. Are you sure? I thought Smooth Drag only made Smoothies for the 900. If you look a the Retail Price list, the Daiwa 900 is not shown under the Carbontex list.
Bill - You're right again. :-[ I didn't look at the price list page.

Mokomoa - if you can get the I.D. and O.D. measurements (in mm) of your existing washers, there might be a match of HT-100s or Carbontex, or something close enough that can be re-sized.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

akfish

If you can't get the 5 stack metal washers from Alan, the next best thing is to use six 006 - 115 HT-100 drag washers, double stacked with Cal's Grease. That will give you a much smoother drag than stock Daiwa washers but not as much drag as this reel could generate if you had a 5 stack drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mokomoa

Cool, thanks for the tips guys!
Anyone know about the okuma salina reels? I,ve had one for a few months since new and not sure if i should attempt to open it up for greasing etc.

alantani

here's the drag kit for the 900.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=153.0  sorry, never opened up a salina.  it shouldn't be too hard.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reelman-nz

hi,i actually really like these model okuma reels, is this the old salina sa40 or the new version which is a salina sa2 4000? if its the older version definitely pays to keep them cleaned and greased as i have seen lots of problems with corrosion on these after very little use, if its the new ones to be honest haven't had problems with them at all other than people who dont clean there reels after using them.

these are quite easy to pull apart they have the elliptical gears so very easy to line the drive gear and transmission gear back up to the correct spot probably only advice i can give is watch the little one way bearing spring dont fly away and just watch when you remove the pinion gear as there is a little nylon bushing it sits in, it  might stay in or stick to bottom of the pinion. this part does wear out after a lot of use and will make the reel very noisy as the pinion will sit on the frame.oh and also if you decide to take apart the bail arm assembly there is two thin plastic washers  that sit under the bail arm and bail holder these are very easy to break when putting back together especially the bail arm side, probably the hardest part of the reel.lol

i will strip one down if anyone really wants to see it. thanks jase

mokomoa

Thanks Jase, yep its the older of the two. Gave it a basic grease today but didn,t get too far into it.
I would love to see a breakdown if possible.
Its a good little reel alright, got me a 20pd snapper yesterday.
Cheers mate.
Thanks Alan i will check that link out for the 900.