Trouble shooting a Daiwa 50h

Started by broadway, April 05, 2011, 09:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

I'm repairing an old Daiwa 50H for the first time (I saw Alan's Tutorial), and need some advice on which Penn HT-100 Drag washers will fit?  Also, is the eccentric jack supposed to be bent at all or should it be arrow straight. This one looks pretty bent.  Last but not least, is there a ring on the inside of the main gear that spins freely?  Where do I get Daiwa parts? By the way, this reel is AWESOME!!!!
Thanks
Dom

akfish

The correct HT-100 is 006 114 (the washers used in the black 6/0 Senator). If I understand what you are saying, the ring on the inside of the main gear should not turn; if it does, you'll loose drag and need to replace the main gear. I always replace both the pinion gear and the main gear when I replace either. I believe the eccentric should have a slight bend to it so that it "fits" the side plate. Finally, the only place I know of to get Daiwa parts is from the company offices in California.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

Hey, Dom -
Just by coincidence I serviced a 50H about an hour ago. The eccentric jack was straight and the eccentric lever was bent to fit snug against the side plate.  Never saw the ring inside the gear turn in either a 350H or 50H. My 350H is a GREAT reel!
For Daiwa parts there are also Mikes Reel Repair in Burnaby, BC  http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=fb6d05ae1240113fa1d9c2f5296b7d15   and
Dave's Parts & Service in Florida   http://www.fishingreelparts.com/
I need to order both bearings for the 50H and was going to go to Daiwa. I haven't used either of the others, but it sounds like some folks aren't real happy with Mike's. ??? ???
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

Quote from: broadway on April 05, 2011, 09:47:34 PM
   Last but not least, is there a ring on the inside of the main gear that spins freely?  Thanks, Dom

what ring?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Ak,  I thought the same thing with the main gear.  I think the ring on the inside was once attached firmly, but I can't get it out without a hammer and punch to tell for sure.  By Alan's question (What ring?) I guess I've got my answer on that one.  I agree with replacing the pinion and gear simultaneously.  Thanks for the measurements on the drags. Evidently, the eccentric is bent way to much cause it's at a 60 degree angle.  Maybe that's why it was so hard to get the bridge screws out... The eccentric jack was pushing on the bridge with a lot of pressure.  The guy who played with it last didn't know squat about reels!

Rob, Hold off on ordering the bearings cause if the Capt. lets me keep it for a parts reel I'll send ya the bearings.  They seemed good, but I didn't remove them just spun 'em with a q-tip...No crunchies!  I'll let ya know if he wants it or it's mine.  Thanks for the heads up on the parts joints, Bro.

By the way, the drags didn't break when I pulled them out... they dripped out (No Kidding!)  They were like toilet paper in the toilet bowl for 2 hours (unsoiled:) That's hat saltwater/ grease/ and no love get ya!  Oh, Crap, Alan did put the drag washers in the tutorial (the 114)... I missed it, my bad.

Thanks Crew,
Dom