Cost of having a rod refinished?

Started by FatTuna, November 30, 2016, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

After looking through Steelfish's thread, I'm considering having three of my rods refinished. I've never built a rod before and don't think that I should start with these.

My first thought was to sell these rods online as is and then buy new ones. I just sold my 80lb rods. Put them online and they sold in a couple of days for close to asking price. I'm thinking I could get close to $300 each for these. The new CMS rods I'm looking at are $480 each plus shipping. They are really nice. You can either have them built with 130lb butts and 80lb Calstar blanks or 130lb butts and 130lb Calstar blanks. That would mean I'm only spending $180 per rod to upgrade to brand new blanks, nice thread work, custom colors, brand new butts, etc.

A second option is that I could have these rods redone. I'm really happy with their performance, I'm just not happy with the aesthetics. They are soft and the right length. The problem is these rods all have a dull, matte look to them. I think it's due to sun fading. They are also very plain looking.

I'd like my tuna rods to have a design similar to the spinning rod shown in the pictures. That one is a brand new CMS custom.

What would be the cost of having them redone? Also, does anyone know of a builder that would be up to the job?

thorhammer

hey Tuna!

IMO, $180 each puts you on the hairy edge of rewrapping a big game blank as you indicate...could be more if the blank is repainted and refinished prior to wrapping due to labor...it's a PITA and takes several days to cure multiple coats of CP Extra over the new paint before you can wrap, IF you can get $300 out of a sale to base your delta on.

I think the money gets close; it's a question of how much you like the blanks, the condition of the butts, and how much you want a custom wrap of your own color / design vs. a commercially available one. Not sure what you got for your 80's but $300 is tall for a used rod in any case...not that it's not worth it, but you can get into new for not a whole lot more, with warranty.  I got some Penn International bent butt 80's this year for $150 each, barely used. They are about $600 new.

Your existing Aftco Big foot guide set costs about $150 new, plus about the same for the butt. $480 isn't a terrible price IF the blank is quality. That's a nice fit and finish.

Not sure who might do your wrap; I'm buried and traveling extensively with my real job or I'd look at it for you.

not really giving you an answer as only you can decide the "right" one; just food for thought.

John

FatTuna

I'm not in love with these blanks. I mainly bought them because I wanted the reels off the combos. I could take them or leave them.

I've never fished the bigger CMS rods. Only their smaller stuff. Some people argue the 80lb blanks are the way to go because they are a lot softer. Less pulled hooks and keeps slack out of the line. Other people have told me to get the Calstar 130lb blank. The guy I spoke to today said the 130lb blank is much stiffer than the 80 though.

To be honest, I would like to see the rods in person before I commit to them. It's a few hours drive but I think I may go down there. If mine end up being a lot softer, I will probably want to refinish these.

steelfish

this is a hard question buddy.

since those are a expensive rods it depends on what you really want, having it re-done its nice and you will save 40-50% vs buying new ones and you can order special color theme which is always nice.

but in other hand if you sayd you can get $300 for them, well that puts you in the same money saving position than having it re-done, so you can sell them and getting new ones for $450-$500 dls and still be even.

If I were you I would sell them and get new ones, IMO a re-wrap job is recommended when you like the action of your actual blank but the guides are toasted or when you are on a budget and cant get the same model brand new.
Most of the times you cannot get even 30% of the original cost of the rod when the rod has 3-4 guides broken and lots of boat rash, in those cases you are comparing a resale value of $20-40 dls from a used trevala rod (example) against getting a new one for $190.00, even a repairing job for $100 will make you save $90 from getting a new one.

your case is none of those, so, is you call amigo

The Baja Guy

droppedit

I've been doing re-builds for many years now and for a triple wrapped offshore rod I'm under the ballpark range of 180.00. Not sure where you are but I'm on the east coast and I usually use 4" drain pipe to FedEx the rods.
Here are a couple of pics of a #30 I did with vintage Aftco butts and Varmac seats. They wanted the crosscut grip and I slid a rubber butt cap to protect the gimbal end. PM me for details.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com