J.A. Coxe Model 630 300 yard

Started by Bill B, December 02, 2016, 03:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I've had this J.A. Coxe rolling around the "redneck condo" for a couple weeks, the tail plate has the J.A. Coxe script, and the foot has " J.A. Coxe Reel Company Bronson Michigan Model 630 300 YDS Pat APP For Made in USA"   The spool appears to be 3 piece, with a brass arbor and thinly chromed end plates.  I know Coxe moved from Los Angeles in 1934, but I am wondering if this is just a run of the mill Bronson Reel or something special worth putting some time and money into.....I have it soaking in vinegar at the moment and will be able to post pictures this weekend....any thoughts   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

I don't know anything about that reel but I am looking forward to the photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Here is a sneak peek at the drive train....everything is on the bridge plate, dog, yoke, eccentric, so when you pull the bridge everything comes out as a unit.  I have never opened a Coxe, but I am impressed with the quality of the engineering, but what is curious is the oiler for the gear sleeve...unlike the Penn that has a ball and spring in the bearing, this ball ans spring is in the gear sleeve.....does not show very well in this picture, but I will show it better in later photos....Bill

foakes

Nice reel, Bill --

Like many of the medium size salt water reels of the day -- Penn, Ocean City, True Temper, A. J.  Fox Gun Co., and a few others -- they were capable reels.

Only Penn survived...

There is no great value there -- it won't pay off the mortgage or put the kiddos through college -- but with an upgraded and greased drag stack -- a good restoration, service, and lubed with modern lubricants -- it will catch fish very capably.  And it looks old school cool.

I have a few of those that I am making lamp bases out of -- to be sold at craft fairs as sports deco for cabins and dens.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

OK, so my OCD kicked in and I had to finish this reel tonight.....thank you Fred for the information....first and second photos are next to a Penn Delmar 285 and the third is the money shot....I always enjoy opening new reels to see how they are made....some nice features inside, but most parts from on the bridge appear to be staked and not easily replaced....Bill

Penn Chronology

Bill,

It is a Bronson reel with the Joe Coxe name on it.

Very common. You see them on EBay all the time mislabeled. People like to call them Jaloze reels............. :)