quick jigmaster questions

Started by pullrachet, April 06, 2011, 01:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrachet

got a jig 505hs. my question is regarding the stock handle.  will a stock penn 4/0 or 6/0 handle fit right onto the jigmaster? also what is more important in a stock jig; a stainless gear sleeve or new drags?  I want a simple yet capable jig without spending big bucks (in which case I might as well have just bought a better stock reel altogether!) thanks in advance im sure this is real easy question for you guys!

pullrachet

actually come to think of it..if upgrades cost anywhere near 40-50 bucks it probably wouldnt be worth it seeing as how i got the reel off ebay for around that.  theres quite a bit of corrosion, wear etc. might have to just use it till it breaks and put it rest after that haha...can someone say baja special??!

Norcal Pescador

Sorry on the 4/0 and 6/0 handles. You'll have to go with the small gear sleeve handles. Take a look at PennParts handle list. There are a bunch here that fit the 505. https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx
I have big hands so I have a Kolekar "4/0" (medium) grip and the s/s gear sleeve on my 500. Look at Alan's posting on handles.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0
The stock drags are pretty good. If you haven't already, read the 500/501 tutorial.  Make sure the HT-100s are greased and the rest is up to you and your wallet.
I got my Baja Special at Charkbait for a really good price last month. :o

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

pullrachet

hey thanks for the quick response and link...given the added corrosion and wear on my particular reel im skeptical about modding it...things are gonna start to break and replacing everything will turn it into a fully custom reel! and for a jigmaster? idk if i can justify it...but then again if you like a reel why not invest in it right?

pullrachet

btw regarding the baja..ive been checking chark over the last 1-2 months and the price hasnt changed, am i wrong?...its still one of the best deals ive seen on the internet no doubt.  the used ones still seem to sell at just under new, making me think 'might as well' just buy it new and save the headache of refurbishing any neglect of the previous owner.

alantani

yup, 505 gear sleeve and jigmaster power handle.  mysticparts.com has them.  me, too!  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: pullrachet on April 06, 2011, 01:57:02 AM
hey thanks for the quick response and link...given the added corrosion and wear on my particular reel im skeptical about modding it...things are gonna start to break and replacing everything will turn it into a fully custom reel! and for a jigmaster? idk if i can justify it...but then again if you like a reel why not invest in it right?

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to break on you, if you didn't want to invest the money, just get yourself a new set of HT100's, clean it a bit  and enjoy it. Unfortunately, these reels with proper care will outlast both of us.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keith K

Get both the gear sleeve, 2/0 Kolekar handle (my size preference for this reel) and the carbontex drags.  The first two you can get right here from Alan, and the drags from Dawn at Smoothdrag.  Those 500 series Jigmasters have put more meat on the table than any other that I've seen.

Gman_WC

I love my gold 5050HS in the Tiburon. Still dream about launching Hoo Bombs off the back of the Royal Polaris with Rollo. A great casting reel.
Alan, Can you post a picture of a worn out gear sleeve next to a new one?
I'm wondering and need a reference for new, mild abuse, and trashed so I can change them when to far gone.

Thanks -g
Walnut Creek, CA

ReelSpeed

Might I add, if you are going to add these items, you may as well jump in completely and buy one of the tiburon aluminum frames from Alan.  This will help with freespool and really strengthen the frame..
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Alto Mare

When you start adding the cost for all of the parts mentioned here, I think that you will chose my option. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

pullrachet

So I'm kind of confused (or maybe just a new guy here) but alan do you sell parts etc? i keep reading posts saying 'alan has this' or 'you can get that from alan'...sorry if this is a dumb question.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2011, 02:28:57 AM
Unfortunately, these reels with proper care will outlast both of us.

Why is that unfortunate?  Outlasting us is a good thing. :)

Pullrachet,
If you can afford it, why not do as some of the others suggest?  Put a Tiburon frame on your Jigmaster, replace the other necessary worn parts, and upgrade the gear sleeve.  "Old School" is cool.  Then buy a Baja Special, too.  After all, who can manage with having just one reel?   

I have a Baja Special, but I use my three Jigmasters more.  One is Newelled, one is Tiburonized (both "99" width) and one is a Newelled 501.  In fact, I don't remember catching a fish with my Baja Special, although I've only taken it fishing with me three times.   

viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

yeah, i have more junk in the garage than i know what to do with.  some of it in the forsale section at the bottom of the board.