What is this reel?

Started by Johnny_F, December 04, 2016, 08:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny_F

Just want to share what someone gave to me.
This is what I got.
The only mark on it is Jersey.
No drag. Gear ratio is 2 to 1. Has a clicker.
Would anyone have any more information about this reel?

thorhammer

No idea, but Fred or Mike will probably know. I can say I'd polish that old girl up and and shelve it; that's gotta be pre-war if not a hundred years old IMO. Nice find.

John

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

spc7669

I don't know what it is, but it's lovely. Nice score.

philaroman

UNFORTUNATELY Phil White's oldreels.com seems to be gone -- that was my favorite place to start the search (hope that fine Gentleman, himself, is still OK)

try http://orcaonline.org, I guess

foakes

Hi John --

Suspect we will find out that it is an old Ocean City trade reel.

Here is one that appears identical in configuration, components, screws, rivets, etc.

It is stamped "Sea Girt".

I just pulled it out of one of the crates that has old reels that will be used for lamp decor bases.  Probably have 130 or more of these old salt soldiers.

THis old Pflueger Alpine next to it was in worse condition than the Sea Girt.  After 90 minutes of work down to the last piece inside -- it now has 22 seconds of free spool with the levelwind mechanism and no line on the spool for weight.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Johnny_F

Good information.
Ocean City it is.
I'll poke around that old reel website now that I know it's an Ocean City reel.

That Pflueger Alpine is really nice. Great job.
I want to thank everyone for the quick replies.
                                     John

Calusa

Quote from: foakes on December 04, 2016, 11:33:27 PM

I just pulled it out of one of the crates that has old reels that will be used for lamp decor bases.  

What a great idea for repurposing them!

Midway Tommy

Interestingly enough, Ocean City purchased Montague in 1934. The lack of any reference to Ocean City on your reel could indicate that it is a pre-OC Montague made reel, a transition reel or possibly a Montague/OC trade reel. OC did make a reel named Jersey City but yours is missing "City". 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sdlehr

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 28, 2016, 09:52:40 PM
Interestingly enough, Ocean City purchased Montague in 1934. The lack of any reference to Ocean City on your reel could indicate that it is a pre-OC Montague made reel, a transition reel or possibly a Montague/OC trade reel. OC did make a reel named Jersey City but yours is missing "City". 
But you can't deny the similarities between this reel and the Pflueger Summit Fred pictured... so I'm thinking less Montague influence than Pflueger influence here, but I could very well be wrong.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sdlehr on December 28, 2016, 11:29:34 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 28, 2016, 09:52:40 PM
But you can't deny the similarities between this reel and the Pflueger Summit Fred pictured... so I'm thinking less Montague influence than Pflueger influence here, but I could very well be wrong.

Sid

If you notice, Fred was referring to the Ocean City Sea Girt, not the Pflueger Alpine. During the Ocean City purchase of Montague, and the transition period, many of their reels shared parts and had similarities. Most Montague surf sized reels, which were sold as trade reels, weren't marked with "Montague" anywhere.

Yes, Fred's Sea Girt and Johnny F's Jersey look a lot alike, but the Jersey isn't marked OC. That's why it very well could be an unmarked Montague trade or transition reel.

Mike should be along pretty soon, he's well versed on the Montague/Ocean City transition.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sdlehr

Right, Tommy, my bad, but I have a bunch of this style Pflueger and Four Bros in my collection and noticed the similarity to them right off the bat... In fact, I have a Pflueger Alpine that is not a level-wind... none in my collection are level-wind...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

This reel, marked Jersey, is an Ocean City Trade reel. But it looks like a early 1920's reel, so the parent reel of this Trade reel is probably derived from the Fortescue, made from 1924 to 1928.

In 1929, Ocean City changed the name of the Fortescue to the Sea Girt continued the model to 1933.

Ocean City history is full of Left Turns. I call it the "Confusion Aspect"

Neither the Fortescue or the Sea Girt were made in the years of 1934 and 1935.

In 1936, Ocean City brings back both models with a style change for the Sea Girt I believe.

The Sea Girt goes to 1938 and is discontinued while the Fortescue goes to 1940.

Ocean City was not a single maker, they were a conglomerate of makers and they loved the name game and also loved Trade Reels. Their products are all over the country. A fun brand to collect all on its own. Very complicated twisting flow of productivity.