Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris1, Benni3, seruga, mackereljoe, WalterWyman, Donnyboat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

MFB

G'day Zeppy,

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Mr. October

Hi All . .

I found this site like most probably did . . googling how to fix some older reels. My real (reel?) name is Pete Githens from Reading, PA. Originally I am from Southern New Jersey and grew up fishing the salt in the Delaware Bay and Atlantic Ocean. With work, life, and being landlocked here in Reading, I don't get to fish as much as I used to but still get out a bit and plan to get out more often. I've slowly upgraded my stable of reels over the years mostly getting new ones free as I earn points at Cabelas.  :) My most recent addition is a Daiwa Sealine X http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=190 which I can't wait to try out on big bluefish later this month.

That said, I have several older Penn conventional reels that I can't bring myself to just dispose of. At least one still seems to work though the drag has to be near its end of life. And based on the "fun" battle I had with a giant drum fish a couple springs ago when the drag on another older Penn gave up the ghost mid-fight I'm a little afraid to try to use it for anything substantial. I'm also much more a fan of monofilament than braid. The newer reels are all built for braid capacity and don't hold a lot of mono. All of these things, as well as this excellent site has led me to the idea of rebuilding my old Penns. At least I'm going to give it a try. One of them is a Penn 85 I picked up a few years ago on eBay mostly for flounder and I think the drag was about 90% shot on it when I got it. I'm going to start there for practice before I tackle the couple Long Beaches I have. I figure if it doesn't go well I can still go out and buy a couple more reels but this seems like a fun project.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Pete Githens
Reading, PA

Alto Mare

Welcome Pete, when we get done with you, there is a chance you might get rid of that Daiwa, you won't be able to afford it ;D.
Enjoy your stay.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 07, 2015, 10:36:46 AM
Welcome Pete, when we get done with you, there is a chance you might get rid of that Daiwa, you won't be able to afford it ;D.
Enjoy your stay.

Sal

Well Pete from one fellow N Jerseyin to another Welcome! There are lots of folks here that can help you threw any problem you may come up with when it comes to reel repair and maintenance. I like the Diawa reels that I have also, BUT penns are a great reel too and there is a lot of goodies out there to hot rod them. Good Luck.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Welcome aboard, Pete --

A few hints:

With just a proper disassemble, cleaning, replacing any unusable parts (unlikely), upgrade of the drag stack to greased CFs and SS, new under gear washer in greased cf or Delrin -- these reels will be operating at 125% of when they were new.  I have never ran across a Penn that could not be brought back and then some, with just these small things addressed.

Just do (1) reel at a time -- get that down, learn from the experience, complete the job -- then move on to the next.

Don't be hesitant to ask for help -- there is enough expert help on this board to rebuild any Penn (or any reel) properly and efficiently.  And we all have parts we can help you with.

Posting photos using a free service like Photobucket is the way to get any help needed quickly and accurately.

Expect to have all of your reels working properly and as new -- in short order.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

I just officially joined this weekend but I have been lurking here for a few years now. So first things first. Thank you Alan for creating this place. I'm grateful to the rest of you for sharing your knowledge...and fueling my addiction.

I'm located in Southern California but have not been on the water as much as I should be lately. Tweaking and fine-tuning my reels helps me to feel connected when I'm not on the water. I have a nice pile of reels in various stages or restoration. I've always performed my own maintenance but thanks to all the members here I have learned a lot and changed a lot of my practices.

-Mike

Shark Hunter

Welcome Pete and Mike! ;D
You will need 6-60 drags to replace the originals Pete. This one has some miss matched parts, but you get the idea.

Life is Good!

Reel 224

Hey Mike you will get a lot of help here. Welcome!!
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

gentlemen, welcome!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome, Mike --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mr. October

Thanks everyone! I actually spent a lot of time reading here before my first post and have already ordered the parts I believe I'll need to fix up the 85, although I think I'll put a better handle on it too. I've got the reel and my Penn wrench sitting on the work bench waiting for a delivery of parts.
Pete Githens
Reading, PA

wva custom rods

Hi from the UK,

Having worked on many fixed spools over the years i find myself now being asked to service/repair baitcasters, which are a new entity to me!

I hope to pick up some good advice, and in return contribute to the forum.

Tight lines to all,
Marty

WVA Custom Rods

foakes

Welcome, Marty --

Plenty of good tips, shortcuts, procedures, along with knowledgeable folks -- always ready to help.

Best Regards,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sciaenops

Posted by: Bryan Young

QuoteYou are near what used to be Yo's.  I'm not sure what it is called now though.

It's called "Tackle Junkies".  I haven't gone in yet, but eat across the street occasionally.  Really, old school Gardena Japanese restaurant that serves up huge combination plates.

Sorry for my absence, had to move back to LA due to ever escalating real estate prices in the Bay Area.  Unreel...!

Keith