Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSIA-01, Benni3, UKChris1, seruga, mackereljoe, WalterWyman and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Alto Mare

Welcome Leandro, Ash and Antz!!!

Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

osufanms

Hi All!  Been reading this forum for the last week or so and have learned quite a bit. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I've gotten hooked on inshore saltwater fishing over the last few years but only get a chance to fish a couple weeks a year.  I've accumulated a handful of reels over the years and really enjoy the maintenace of them.

So far I've only worked with spinning reels and can tell many on here deal with other types of reels since I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have a few questions:

1) Do any bearings in a spinning reel need packed with grease or are they just oiled?
2) Does anyone have experience working on a Daiwa Black Gold BG-15 that may have been neglected a bit?
3) Where can I locate a good tutorial, pictures, videos, etc. on general spinning real maintenance and refurb?  I've looked but there is so much info here I just can't seem to locate.

Thank you again to you all of you for your knowledge and thanks in advance for any replies.  I have a few supplies now and my Cal's grease, Corrosion X, Reel X and Penn grease arrives tomorrow.  I can't wait to dig in!!!

Mike

Alto Mare

Welcome Mike! I grease the bearings on all my reels, your fishing style might be different :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

welcome!  i'm not much on spinners.  mostly i'll just change out the drags.  go ahead post this on the spinner board and see if you can get someone to help out!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Welcome Mike.  I have a Daiwa BG.  They are easy reels to service and are tough long lasting reels.  Parts are still available from Daiwa as well.

I just serviced my reel for the first time since I bought it probably 35 years ago.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

osufanms

Thanks for the replies Alto, Alan and Bryan! 

twotone

Hello members, I finally uploaded my avatar after 2yrs here. This took some time to do, but thanks to others here in a post search I was able to resize and upload pic. The members here are always there to help, with respect. I recently started logging in instead of viewing as guest. More features to use, (guest) so log in. In the past 10 yrs I have surfed most of the fishing sites. The information I was looking for always brought up names like Alan T, Scot's B and T, John T, and Allen H, etc. Before the web you looked for books to help in repairing broken items or just go head on and fix your broken items. Invaluable information (Internet) things only work one way , so before the web you either put whatever you were repairing together the first time or multi times until it worked. Not just fishing stuff though, I have fixed things I have owned that cost more to repair than they are worth, but more in my favor, thanks to my Father. He fixed everything.  Lessons learned here!  It's fun to make it work again and it's satisfying.  Until now I only (cleaned  em up, cf drags, upgraded bearings ,stock parts and shimming gear bearings if needed ) for myself and one buddy who lives on the Gold Coast of Costa Rica (Floridian transplant who loves to fish and surf).  Their fish market and pangas are right on the water. He is married to a local and they have three pangas, a 28' for fishing charters, one for commercial fishing and and larger panga for the tourists (when they get an engine). I'm hoping they do this soon. I do like fishing center consoles, flats, bay boats and the big boy boats, but a panga for stand up is the best .  Pangas remind me of being on a big John-boat with my uncle Sam on the Ambarras river back in the day when all fishing was better everywhere. Today we are lucky to get the quantity and size of catch we would like. So, we fish smarter with the all the new gear and gadgets. Okay back to my subject. I bring his reels home and repair them and mail them back (roughly 85.00 USD to mail the cheapest box size), but if they have much weight and size I hold them until I return a year later. . The Central Americans are patient people, even expats. He uses mostly Shimano and a little Penn (me the opposite). Hot rod reels here I come! This is my first membership to a fishing forum.  Great site! Thanks, twotone
twotone

Shark Hunter

Welcome osu and two tone! ;D
You are in the right place for hot rodding! ;)
Life is Good!

MFB

G'day Gentlemen

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

petermex

Hello all: Newbe here. A long time observer of this forum and not active because my English is not fluent. I understand the written english,fairly well but can't construct it without the Google translator. I am Mexican and live in Mexico, near the ocean. Kind of addict to this site.
      Thanks Alan and all of You that make this forum possible. This is something makes me very happy. Now I service my own reels, and enjoy o many interventions, all in good will...

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome, Peter!

What part of Mexico?

And what do you fish for?

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

petermex

Quote from: foakes on April 17, 2015, 06:18:51 AM
Welcome, Peter! Thanks for your welcome. I live in Mainland Mexico. The state is Sinaloa, the city is Los Mochis and the ocean is just 15 miles from my ( Yours ) house. The port is TOPOLOBAMPO.

What part of Mexico? Topoloampo is across La Paz, baja califormia, in the sea of cortez, just 100 miles of distance.

And what do you fish for? We fish at open sea 15-20-30 miles from the port ( whatever ) mainly for Dorado in summer and Sierra in Winter. I do mainly trolling from my small panga ( 23 foot )with 85 H.P Yamaha two strokes.
Thanks again for your Welcome . Best for you.

Peter...