Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rcscherz210, Paul Roberts, RSIA-01, UKChris1 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jtmoney

Long time lurker first time poster. Gotta say ive been soaking up knowledge to service my freshwater, big swimbait reels and this site has been tremendous!

Shark Hunter

Welcome JT!
This is where the Money be! ;)
Life is Good!

SacFly

Hi everybody.  This is a truly fine website you've assembled here; I've been lurking for awhile.

I live in NYC and fish the Long Island surf most of the time.  This is where I fell in love with sturdy, old Penn reels.  I grew up fishing disposable shimanos in freshwater, so it was really refreshing to discover the 704z when I started fishing saltwater.  Fish the heck out of it, tear it down, re-lube, and it's ready for the next round. 

I only boat fish a half dozen times a year and I've always used loaner gear.  This past winter a friend of mine passed on and his family gave me all of his fishing gear.  He was a boat guy.  So overnight I became the owner of pretty much the full line of old-school Penn conventionals.  Everything from 155s and squidders on the small side up through a 14/0.  Many of these have not been used in 20 years.   I really have no use for the big ones, but my current plan is to bring everything up to the 6/0 back into fighting shape.

Restoring a 155 beachmaster was my first project.  I took the lighthouse sideplate and power handle off of an old beater and put it on a newer one that was pretty clean. I upgraded the drag stack, replaced the dog spring, greased everything and was off to slay porgies and black sea bass.  This project led me to Alan's great tutorials, which led me to all of you...

Shark Hunter

Welcome SacFly!
You are in the right place to learn everything you need to know about those senators. There is a section to sell your reels too if you don't want them. (Hint,Hint ;))
:D
Enjoy Your Stay!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Welcome Sacfly, you are definitely at the right place. Take pictures along the way, as you upgrade those, we all enjoy them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Sacfly, welcome to the "neighborhood"...as Sal said you are in the right place. lots of knowledgeable people here ready and able to help. tight lines!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Kuskatan Mike

Hello All,

I am by no means new to the rebuild tutorials and great reel reviews of Mr. Alan Tani but I am as of today new to the site. I had the pleasure of going on a 4 day Tile trip out of Montauk this past June. While there I spoke with someone about the reel handles I had seen on this site and how I was going to purchase some of them in the not to distant future. Well another fellow fisherman was down the rail and heard me speaking, he said he was using one of the handles and had another in his bag and that I was welcome to use it if I so choose. Bingo, I fished with it the entire trip and adored the handle. Case closed!

So, now that my fishing season has basically ended for a few months I am back, registered and will be placing an order today (I hope).

Best,

K Mike ;)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

K Mike welcome to the "neighborhood"...

Kuskatan Mike

Shark Hunter

Welcome K Mike!
You will enjoy it here! ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Welcome Mike!
Yes those are nice handles, but we also have lots of other goodies here. ;D
Enjoy your stay, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mickeyfin

Hi All,

been poking around here of late and thought it was time to acknowledge what an informative site this is. I stay away from reel tinkering because I have hands of stone  ;D
Appreciate the many interesting exchanges and ideas presented. Keep it up!
I strictly saltwater fish for bass and tuna
best, Mick

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to the "neighborhood"...

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!