Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe, RSIA-01, Benni3, UKChris1, seruga, mackereljoe, WalterWyman and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Serrations

Hello everyone,
I wanted to put up a first post and officially  join Mr Tani's neighborhood. I found this site while surfing for info on reels, their use and maintenance. Many searches have brought me here time after time, and the site is a wealth of information. I'm in Illinois so while I have an interest in saltwater, as of yet I'm only a freshwater fisherman. Bigger reels (saltwater) have a place in Musky, Catfish, and Lake Sturgeon fishing, so I've collected a small assortment. As time goes on I hope to post a bit more and get to know everyone here.
For now, thanks for all the great information, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Mike

alantani

mike, happy thanksgiving!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Legal Bill

Hello everyone.  I've been using this site for guidance for a couple of years and thought I should join and say hello and thank you.  I just finished the tear down of a couple of old Penn reels and found the information here to be very valuable.  It is so nice to fine a web site with useful information.

Happy Thanksgiving and best regards.

Bill

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Welcome Mike and Bill! ;)
Enjoy your stay! There are some great guys here! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Hello Bill, welcome!
Great! Another Penn guy, I was getting worried we were running low ;D.
Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Sal

I like Penn Reels. The OLDER ones like my first reel a 185 Bay Master & a 146 Squidder that I did for my Rod maker. It's just that Newell's are lighter in weight.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Mike, I'm not arguing with you, I also like newells and some others ;). I went through this with Newell Nut and we are now very good buddies, maybe because I'm slowly turning him towards Penns ;D.
No, I also like Newells.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Welcome Mike ( Serrations ), you will like it here.
Sal

bluefish69

I never thought I was starting something. I used Penn's for close to 50 yrs. I just don't like the new ones most new reels are 6-1. I had Torium 20 & Saltist 30 sold them for $125 ea. I just like staying in my era with fishing tackle. My last custom rod was a 7' 6" Lami Glass conventional
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on November 29, 2013, 05:23:09 AM
I never thought I was starting something.

You never do Mike, you're a good guy. I'm only agreeing with you.
What are you doing up? You must be in the same boat as me, I ate too much and can't go to bed.
Later buddy.

Shark Hunter

Oh Yea he does!
Watch this guy Sal! ;)
He will "Rubba the Magic Ball on You" ;D
Happy Thanksgiving Mike! :)
Life is Good!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Mike, you've written it. this is the "neighborhood" and welcome...

Legal Bill

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. 

Sal, I'm 58 now and grew up with Penn reels.  I'll never leave them.  I just wish I still had some of my dad's old reels. 

The great thing about all the modern reels that are available now is that I can find old Penn reels at yard sales for a couple of bucks each.  They all need to be torn down, cleaned and re-lubed.  I install new drag washers and anything else that is worn out.  When I'm done I have a great reel for about $10 total investment.  It makes for a nice inexpensive hobby during the winter months.  I can always sell them on Craigs List if I get too many or give some to less fortunate kids.

I'm thinking of creating some kind of display with a few different reels.  I had this idea for a shadow box with two reels inside; one assembled and the other torn down and laid out beside it so the observer could compare the working reel with all the parts.