Beware of eating Dungeness crabs until further notice!

Started by sdlehr, December 11, 2016, 04:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

"Do not — repeat, not — eat crab caught along much of the California coast until further notice. That's the stunning message issued Tuesday by health officials just days before Saturday's start of the recreational crab season, which may be delayed.
The California Department of Public Health is warning that potentially deadly levels of domoic acid have been found in Dungeness crab and rock crab caught along the coastline between Oregon and the southern border of Santa Barbara County. As a result, the state Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment is recommending the Dungeness season be delayed and the rock crab fishery be closed."

Full story here

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Don-t-eat-Dungeness-crab-California-health-6608939.php

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

swill88

Thanks for the warning but Sid... that article is dated 11/2015

crab season opened over a month ago.

does this qualify as fake news ??? ??? ???

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sdlehr

Quote from: swill88 on December 11, 2016, 04:41:44 PM

Thanks for the warning but Sid... that article is dated 11/2015

crab season opened over a month ago.

does this qualify as fake news ??? ??? ???
Oh, Jeez, I hadn't noticed that... I'm sorry. In the style of Miss Emily Littela from SNL, "Never Mind".

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

El Pescador

According to our most up-to-date and reliable source of this information: the Calif. Dept. of Fish & Wildlife
Just don't eat the viscera, or the guts.

https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/12/01/more-of-commercial-dungeness-crab-fishery-to-open-dec-3-some-areas-will-remain-closed/

For recreational Crab Fishing:

"The recreational season for Dungeness crab opened on Nov. 5 and remains open with a warning from CDPH to recreational anglers to avoid consuming the internal organs of Dungeness crab caught between Salt Point and the north jetty at the Humboldt Bay entrance."

for commercial Dungeness Crab fishing:

"An approximately 50-mile portion of the commercial Dungeness crab fishery between Point Reyes, Marin County and near Salt Point, Sonoma County that has been closed due to elevated domoic acid levels will open on Dec. 3 at the recommendation of state health agencies, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) announced today. However, the fishery will remain closed north of Salt Point to the Humboldt Bay entrance. The closed portions of the coast may open once testing by state agencies shows that the area is safe with regard to domoic acid levels.

On Dec. 3 at 12:01 a.m., the commercial Dungeness crab season will open from Point Reyes (38° 00' N. lat.) to near Salt Point (38° 34.5'N. Lat.).  The opener will be preceded by an 18-hour pre-soak period commencing at 6 a.m. on Dec. 2.  The area between Salt Point and the north jetty at the Humboldt Bay entrance south will remain closed until the CDFW Director receives a recommendation from the state health agencies that levels of domoic acid – a naturally occurring toxin – do not pose a public health risk. Last fall and winter, domoic acid along the West Coast interrupted Dungeness and rock crab fisheries from Santa Barbara to the Oregon state line."
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Lee,

it might be time to travel down here and say hello to us all!!!

IF you are in town next Aug. 21,  2017 total eclipse weekend, I'll be driving thru and would love to stop by and break some bread with you!

Wayne

Keta

Quote from: El Pescador on December 11, 2016, 06:26:27 PM
Lee,

it might be time to travel down here and say hello to us all!!!

IF you are in town next Aug. 21,  2017 total eclipse weekend, I'll be driving thru and would love to stop by and break some bread with you!

Wayne

Albacore time so not sure but I should be around.  Remind me in July.

Mark Twain

El Pescador

Let me put together a tank'ed up 501 & I'll join you!!!!