Do we have a full breakdown on a Calcutte 700S? I need one.

Started by thorhammer, December 13, 2016, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I have a coffee can special 700S I acquired; cannot find a full-on tutorial. I don't typically go into my Shimano's except the Bantams (my 400TE went to Alan), so I've no idea what it should look like; haven't even dumped it out to see what's missing yet. I basically got it free so I'm willing to put a little into this excellent reel, but I know bearings alone add up quickly on Shimano's.

Thanks for the help! I'd like to take a stab at it before I have to send it out, for the sake of the challenge.

John

Jon_Kol

Hi!

I don't have a complete tutorial in regards to pictures and text, but I do have a lot of pictures from my various "dissections" of Calcutta's. Maybe they can be of some help if you run into an issue with your reel?

If I understand you correctly, you got hold of this reel from someone else and want to check if it's ok in regards to service, has all its parts etc?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

exp2000

Hi John,

I do not recall having seen a 700S in the flesh but it seems I must have at one time.

Judging by the schematics it looks very similar to the more common 700A series and I have it filed under "A" in my schematics.

The B series is much easier to work on as it has about half the moving parts of the A series gearbox.

I do not have a blow by blow breakdown but the following might help.

Also enclosed are the schematics for the CT700S.

This is the Australian version so part numbers may differ from US version.
~

exp2000

The following are from a B series reel but the LHS internals are basically the same design for all 700 models.

That internal SS clamping plate (BNT1862) can be a real PIA to relocate.

Hope this encourages you to have a bash ;)

Cheers,
Brett.
~

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on December 13, 2016, 02:46:07 PM
I have a coffee can special 700S I acquired; cannot find a full-on tutorial. I don't typically go into my Shimano's except the Bantams (my 400TE went to Alan),
John

c'mon John, if there are no 700S tutorial then you can made one.
just take pictures everytime you are about to take a part out from the reel, that the way I serviced my 400TE, at some part Alan Tani helped me with a stubborn part that didnt wanted to set free, then just check the pictures to see where the parts where instaled and which screws to use.
shimano are not that hard, after I serviced my 400TE everything else its a piece of cake.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Thanks fellas! The S is the nonlevelwind version so that many fewer pieces to worry about.

I got this in an estate sale of a home repair guy, along with about 50-60 other reels and bunches of parts. Also have a 488 and 704 in pieces I'll get to at some point.

Sal got the Alcedo, Aiala a 408, and Harry K the Cardinal stuff that was interesting.

thorhammer

Part of what I bought. Note green 9, Cardinal 4, Micro Quicks, early 712's, Reel deal transmission, Abumatics, and not seen, a pair of immaculate 7' original Sabres.

steelfish

dang bro, merry christmas to you !!
score big time

I see some really unique reels there, like those "spinning" red color with drag star (at the right on your pic)

The Baja Guy