Removing custom knobs

Started by Alto Mare, December 15, 2016, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I realize that some of you might already know this, but for those who don't ...as me ::), when removing the type of handle as the one I'm showing here, you need to go clokwise.
I wasn't aware and messed up the hex head.
I was still able to do it though, by cutting a slot in the screw head

These come crazy tight from Accurate,I believe they use permanent loctite.
I'm putting it back on our custom handle using blue loctite

Porthos mentioned these handles were too thick for our Jigmasters, this was a while back.
I told him they would be ok, but I was wrong, the aluminum Accurate handles  are no match when used with our ss sleeves on our Jigmasters...you guys know what I mean when I refer to these parts as ours, they're made available because of all of us.
Here is a shot of the thick handle to give you an idea:

and the knob on the new ss handle. That nice knob is much happier now:

Hoping this is of some help for some.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Yeah, I came close to ruining threads on my Accurate, so I wrote "L thread" in permeant marker, back-side a handle. Come to think of it I probably got spinner pinion nuts with backward threads, better get the marker n' check.
Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

fishhawk

Thanx Sal, no wonder I couldn't get one out!

foakes

Easy to do, Sal...and good advice --

I do not always do this -- but generally I try to remember:

When working on custom reels, high end reels, reels for left-handers, some really old reels, plus French and Italian reels -- If I am not absolutely certain of the thread direction -- I start the screw or nut carefully in a clockwise direction.

If right hand threaded -- worst case would be a no-go or a breaking loose of the screw set -- then back out normally.  Best case -- it just comes out because it is opposite threaded.

Old man Tommel taught me this -- down on Blackstone, in Fresno, about 45 years ago.

He was old school, and worked on many of the French Spinners and old bait-casters.  The German Silver Screws were hard to replace -- even in those days.

Another thing, if using an Allen Wrench or a Nut Driver -- no issues, except if we get too aggressive.

However, if using a screwdriver on an old reel, expensive, or custom reel -- make sure the screwdriver is hollow ground -- and the proper size to fit the slot perfectly & snugly -- with a good gripping handle to do the job the first time smoothly and properly.

I generally get  2 or 3 opportunities to ruin a screw -- and only one to save it the right way.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Yes Fred you are correct. A 70+ year old plumber thought me that a while back as well and more, the problem here, the screw wasn't moving at all.
When not sure and applying pressure in both directions it will gets you, especially if it is welded as this one was.
All Alan Chui's handles knobs that I have are  all couterclockwise for on and  clockwise for off.
Some of the  knobs I have are the opposite.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

All good stuff guys! Another thing that helps if its an all metal knob, is to use my soldering gun for a few minutes on the screw. That usually enough to start melting the locktite.

And your absolutely correct the Accurate stuff has forever locktite!!!

.......................Lou

thorhammer

great tips. I like the gun idea.

coastal_dan

Good to know! 

Also, slight change of subject...love the finish on your wrench.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Gfish

Is it better to use the blue locktite(temp.) or ta just torque it back on when the manufacturer locktite's it on? And can ya(not on purpose) mix grease with the locktite?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Son of a gun, I've been wrestling with an old accurate handle for a few weeks trying to un-screw it. Thanks for posting that I was ready to give up. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Gfish, if your questions were directed to me, OI don't know.

Interesting about the loctite I found on the screw, there was some red at the tip, but most was mustard color and the smell  was so strong, something like sulfer.
It  reminded me of the same stuff I found on a Tiburom spool shaft after removing it from an aluminum spool :-\

Dominick

Good post as usual Sal.  You also showed how to recover from a mistake.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

Very observant Sal! What you are smelling is Loctite primer. It doesn't surprise me that Accurate would use this as they, like yourself pay attention to detail. It will turn most of the Loctite colors to a straw/brown.
When the components are properly cleaned and primed, I doubt they would ever come apart.
................Lou

foakes

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on December 16, 2016, 12:00:36 AM
Very observant Sal! What you are smelling is Loctite primer. It doesn't surprise me that Accurate would use this as they, like yourself pay attention to detail. It will turn most of the Loctite colors to a straw/brown.
When the components are properly cleaned and primed, I doubt they would ever come apart.
................Lou

Might experiment with a little JBWeld, Sal...

If it holds, that would be the first time I have ever known someone who has had success with their product.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very good information Lou, it doesn't surprise me you would know thart stuff...thanks!

Fred, a lot of guys here really like JBWeld, pesonally, I never had luck with that stuff. :-\

About these knobs, knowing the direction to turn, the second one came right out, but I still had to cut a slot in the screw head. The hex just doesn't do it:

The one in front is sitting on a titanium arm...love it!

On another note, here is the reason I was able to play with some of my stuff today:

Its cold outside, our high was 20 degreese today. I understand some of you have it worst, this is too early in the season for us.