Fin- nor

Started by bill19803, December 19, 2016, 12:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

does anyone  have  any experience using  of   repairing     fin nor       12/0   reels   thinking about one      to  fish   but    wondering about using  an  antique.

coastal_dan

Bill - Head down to the Fin-Nor Tutorials / Builds section and there a few posts in there about repair and schematics.  Hopefully someone else will pitch in about their 'fishability'. 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Most of the most prestigious IGFA all-tackle world records were at one time Fin Nor 12/0 catches.  I believe that at least three of the four most important records still are, blue marlin, black marlin and swordfish.  Not so long ago, the Fin Nor 12/0 (2-speed version) was the reel of choice for most of the top boats fishing black marlin on the reef out of Cairns, producing more granders than anywhere else in the world.  This is just my guess, but I would bet that more 1,000 lb game fish have been caught on Fin Nor 12/0s than on any other model reel, and probably by at least a two to one margin.

The reel may not be state of the art, and they may be too heavy for stand-up use, but in my opinion, a well-maintained 12/0 Fin Nor will still handle anything that swims.  That's my two cents worth.

bill19803

i  guess that settles it   goin on the  hunt  for  fin nor  12-0

darren has  his terminator   guess ill  have sword killer

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

bill19803

well  its no longer  go gettem  its  wait till it gets here    dec    31  then i  think it  will be  going   to the boss   for  him  to  work his  wizzardry  in making an  antique into a deadly  weapon. Not the  lightest   weapon   but  probably one of the best  made   pieces  of  antique    fishing gear.  Then  we will see  about putting it  to  work doing  what it   does best.